Vehicle Tracking With The Pineapple

billius

hey guys, just wondering if anyone would be interested in a module that searches for and logs networks over time- just like wardriving, but instead looks up the location on wigle and reports back that location over 3g to you.

tell me any ideas you have- I have some time on my hands to develop this as a module.

Pineapple fleet management...I like this! For a wide scale deployment (multiple units) - you could easily see on a google-maps like interface where your pineapple is, and maybe do a hover-over or clickable icon to see its last communication? That way you can monitor its uptime and so-on! Not a bad idea billius!

telot

I think this cool also but your idea of GPS would really take this over the top.

I also like the vector that this could add. Maybe a remote access module that allows you to control multiple pineapples in the field using one UI.

Maybe create a service that could combine all the data on a VPS and act as a headend for the pineapple control with logging.

I could use this for my fleet vehicles. B)

Seconded!

telot

In my opinion this is straying away from the main idea of the pineapple is to be a network vector, lets focus on ideas that has to do with getting in air and dominating it.

In my opinion this is straying away from the main idea of the pineapple is to be a network vector, lets focus on ideas that has to do with getting in air and dominating it.

quad-roter pineapple with IP cam .... yes random

I believe that the pineapple is more of a multipurpose development platform for pentesting and the like. what jdogherman suggested is what i was thinking of in the first place- having permission to put the pineapple on a vehicle and wardrive/track locations. with gpsd and a USB gps we could actively wardrive, but i'm also assuming that the vast majority of people don't have one, thus making a purely wifi based setup an interesting prospect.

I believe that the pineapple is more of a multipurpose development platform for pentesting and the like. what jdogherman suggested is what i was thinking of in the first place- having permission to put the pineapple on a vehicle and wardrive/track locations. with gpsd and a USB gps we could actively wardrive, but i'm also assuming that the vast majority of people don't have one, thus making a purely wifi based setup an interesting prospect.

A few of us over on the netstumbler forums did this with linksys wrt-54g's. One of the moderators put a few in taxi cabs and let them wardrive for him. I think his brother ran the company or something. Someone else, I think it was Mother, modded his with a 3g radio, this was before every phone had internet access, or at least mostly cheap internet access. I might have to pull my serial gps out of my 54g and add it to my pineapple.... :unsure:

A few of us over on the netstumbler forums did this with linksys wrt-54g's. One of the moderators put a few in taxi cabs and let them wardrive for him. I think his brother ran the company or something. Someone else, I think it was Mother, modded his with a 3g radio, this was before every phone had internet access, or at least mostly cheap internet access. I might have to pull my serial gps out of my 54g and add it to my pineapple.... :unsure:

That sounds like an awesome project barry! Do eet up!

telot

Was the option of using Bluetooth gps with a USB Bluetooth dongle discussed or being possible on net stumbler forums?

hey guys, just wondering if anyone would be interested in a module that searches for and logs networks over time- just like wardriving, but instead looks up the location on wigle and reports back that location over 3g to you.

tell me any ideas you have- I have some time on my hands to develop this as a module.

Brilliant! I could really see this being useful as a "find my pineapple" feature.... You know, for when you can't remember where you left it. Or accidentally magnetically attached it to the seat in front of you on the bus... I'm so silly that way.

Seconded!

telot

Thirded!

The pineapple is absolutely a multipurpose pentesting platform. I'm pretty sure gpsd is already supported in openwrt and there are likely some generic usb gps dongles that'll work. Might need a kernel module, but hey if this works we could always roll it into the firmware.

GPS Hardware aside even the WiFi location service would be nifty as hell. In fact, Google offers an API for its WiFi location service:

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2008/10/introducing-gears-geolocation-api-for.html (or use Wiggle)

Hey, quick question. Is the built in serial port ttl or standard rs-232?

3.3v TTL. The headers on the board should work no problem. I believe it's /dev/tty0 or something similar. Haven't had a need to connect a serial device but there's no reason boards couldn't be added to the pineapple this way.

Brilliant! I could really see this being useful as a "find my pineapple" feature.... You know, for when you can't remember where you left it. Or accidentally magnetically attached it to the seat in front of you on the bus... I'm so silly that way.

Thirded!

The pineapple is absolutely a multipurpose pentesting platform. I'm pretty sure gpsd is already supported in openwrt and there are likely some generic usb gps dongles that'll work. Might need a kernel module, but hey if this works we could always roll it into the firmware.

GPS Hardware aside even the WiFi location service would be nifty as hell. In fact, Google offers an API for its WiFi location service:

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2008/10/introducing-gears-geolocation-api-for.html (or use Wiggle)

3.3v TTL. The headers on the board should work no problem. I believe it's /dev/tty0 or something similar. Haven't had a need to connect a serial device but there's no reason boards couldn't be added to the pineapple this way.

Yea. The GPS shows up as /dev/ttyS0 but it's not talking. Have to play around with it more to see what's missing.

Well I've not found any way to set the port's settings. From snooping around the dd-wrt forums it looks like it's hard coded into the bootloader.

Edited by barry99705

Usb seems like the way to go.

You think any pl2303 type usb cable will work?

Damn!

Installing kmod-usb-serial-pl2303 (3.3.8-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/kmod-usb-serial-pl2303_3.3.8-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Multiple packages (kmod-usb-serial and kmod-usb-serial) providing same name marked HOLD or PREFER. Using latest.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-pl2303:
 * 	kernel (= 3.3.8-1-4ddea9f0072cefba7ba289ba2b5fa12f) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-pl2303.

Edited by barry99705