Mark 4 Iphone Tethering

g4hsean

Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success getting iPhone tethering to work with the wifi pineapple mark 4. I followed this tutorial [link]https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=163119[/link] to try and make it happen using a Bluetooth adapter but can't seem to get it to work.

If anyone has any clues on how to go about getting internet tethering to work with an iPhone and a mark 4 please post it here.

Thanks

Sean

Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success getting iPhone tethering to work with the wifi pineapple mark 4. I followed this tutorial [link]https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=163119[/link] to try and make it happen using a Bluetooth adapter but can't seem to get it to work.

If anyone has any clues on how to go about getting internet tethering to work with an iPhone and a mark 4 please post it here.

Thanks

Sean

I doubt the kernel drivers are available on the pineapple and would have to be added. However the pineapple runs a 2.x kernel and the opkg kernel modules are for 3.x. What does the log file state when you plug the Bluetooth dongle in?

Also just out of curiosity, why? Are you going to be using a battery source? You would be better off using a laptop and bridge to your phone or another wireless network. Just a lot of devices here for something not to work properly and a lot of power drain.

I doubt the kernel drivers are available on the pineapple and would have to be added. However the pineapple runs a 2.x kernel and the opkg kernel modules are for 3.x. What does the log file state when you plug the Bluetooth dongle in?

Also just out of curiosity, why? Are you going to be using a battery source? You would be better off using a laptop and bridge to your phone or another wireless network. Just a lot of devices here for something not to work properly and a lot of power drain.

Well, i updated the kernel to 3.x just yesterday so like that some of the modules like the hciconfig would install. As for the log's, I will need to check them out when i get home tonight. I did however check to see if the dongle was recognized using lsusb and it showed up fine, i guess that doesnt mean much but its a start i presume.

For the question about whether I am going to use a battery pack or not, the answer is yes i would like to build one for it. That's pretty much why i want to get the iphone tethering to work so like that i can get mark 4 to receive internet from iphone usb connection or wirelessly whichever way works. This way i can bring it on location and move it around as needed while i do assessments.

I know there is support for 3g modems so i was hoping it wouldnt be to hard to get it to work with tethering either usb or bluetooth (with a dongle). Anyways maybe ill look into compiling the drivers into the kernel if that is whats keeping it from working. If not id like to hear about some possible solutions anyone may have to get this type of setup to work since i am sure a lot of people would like to use their phones if they dont already have a 3g modem.

Thanks for the reply

Sean

This is a question that I have as well. For example I have a rooted Samgsung galaxy s2 and I can set it up to tether from a wireless network, or from 4G, thus removing the need to purchase a dongle.

I just started messing with it today, but the only thing I feel confident in doing right now is a few of the non-persisting networking commands.

Haven't got it working yet. It would be nice if I could use DHCP :/

• 1 month later...

This is a question that I have as well. For example I have a rooted Samgsung galaxy s2 and I can set it up to tether from a wireless network, or from 4G, thus removing the need to purchase a dongle.

I just started messing with it today, but the only thing I feel confident in doing right now is a few of the non-persisting networking commands.

Haven't got it working yet. It would be nice if I could use DHCP :/

What about USB tethering?

**EDIT**

After some research you need to install the following package. The problem is you need to upgrade the kernel for it to work :-(

kmod-usb-net-ipheth - 3.3.6-1 - Kernel support for Apple iPhone USB Ethernet driver

Edited by legion

What about USB tethering?

**EDIT**

After some research you need to install the following package. The problem is you need to upgrade the kernel for it to work :-(

kmod-usb-net-ipheth - 3.3.6-1 - Kernel support for Apple iPhone USB Ethernet driver

I will see what I can do ;)

I will see what I can do ;)

+1

I've been dying this. I have an unlimited data plan for my iphone.

The problem is that none of the usb cards on sale are supported in Ireland.

I have an older Huawei from about 3yrs ago, but cant top it up with credit as the newer models all have built in software for doing this.

My only worry would be the draw from the pineapple by connecting them together, the iphone is a hungry beast.

My main ask is about wifi card support

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to try to keep this question in this thread, as I have been on holidays for the last month, and I come back to see so many new faces around the forum. :)

So I wonder if any reader can update me:

Has there been any update on either the iPhone tethering or the wifi card support over the last month or so.

I would love wifi card support, as I currently have 3 different (all not compatible) cards, and before I go and buy a new one (the Alfa's are not available here in Eire), I want to see how support is progressing. I currently use a pogoplug/plugbox with two of my cards to perform deauth attacks on (my ;) ) wifi router. Whilst great, it's not exactly mobile.

I want to try to keep this question in this thread, as I have been on holidays for the last month, and I come back to see so many new faces around the forum. :)

Has there been any update on either the iPhone tethering or the wifi card support over the last month or so.

I would love wifi card support, as I currently have 3 different (all not compatible) cards, and before I go and buy a new one (the Alfa's are not available here in Eire), I want to see how support is progressing. I currently use a pogoplug/plugbox with two of my cards to perform deauth attacks on (my ;) ) wifi router. Whilst great, it's not exactly mobile.

Yes, but we have been very busy lately.

I can guarantee though that it is being worked on!

Best,

Sebkinne

Hmmmm pogoplug? can you please touch up on that a little, like config and hardware used, as i have a pogoplug pro which is driving me crazy sitting doing nothing with arch linux.

Hmmmm pogoplug? can you please touch up on that a little, like config and hardware used, as i have a pogoplug pro which is driving me crazy sitting doing nothing with arch linux.

Well I used IronGeek's guide (here: www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/svartkast-pogoplug-dropbox ) to install debian squeeze (and later update to wheezy).

I dont know whether it'll work with the pro, as I am not familiar with it.

I use two no-name wifi cards (atheros based). I havent set up karma yet, but I do connect the pogoplug to the pineapple via ethernet.

In my lab tests at home, I can use it quite well, the plug deauth (mkd3) and the pineapple picking up the wifi clients almost instantly.

Metasploit and SET work perfectly, although MS is a bit slow to initially load (blame 256mb ram). I have the BT repos installed and am setting up a little mini BT box.

I haven't really had the time to do much with it lately, and it really is a project on the slow burner. I like the idea of having a mini 'DropBox' to insert on a network. My next plan, would be to test out a PI version, but I have to stand in line with everyone else to get on that ship.

Looking through IronGeek's site, I would really love to set up an i2p server from the box for secure access. I wonder if Darren could do an episode on this (If he already has, I apologise, as I am still working through the shows)

Yes, but we have been very busy lately.

I can guarantee though that it is being worked on!

Best,

Sebkinne

Could you point me in the way of necessary drivers. I would be happy to beta test it, and get it going. Finally give something back to people.