Nmap Help

Chalito

Well, i know when most of you guys read this your going to think i'm a total n00b which i am, but i'm on a wireless network that is open in my building and i'm trying to get familiar with nmap. I was wondering if there was a way to use nmap in a way that will tell me what computers are on the network and what there corresponding ip's are. Any help or any direction to a nmap tutorial would be appreciated.

p.s

Incase it matters, i'm running ubuntu. I'm not sure if the different nmaps have different commands. Thanx again

-Chalito-

ummm i am also sort of a noob...but i would think u could try something like

nmap -sP 192.168.0/255

and that would Display all the ips that are active and there IP.

Also i found a kindof simple nice tut here

http://www.nmap-tutorial.com/pdf/nmap-tutorial.pdf

Isn't it 0-255, or does 0/255 work too?

This of course will only work if that is the IP range the network is on. So you are going to want to check the IP address you are given (if the network is using DHCP), and then scan in that range (based on the subnet mask).

I believe it's time that we actually produce a cereal named Haxorflakes. Very small demographic I know, but imagine the consumer loyality. There is no way a self-acclaimed geek would EVER buy something like Fruity-Loops over Haxorflakes.

We could set up a vendor tent at Defcon, Digital Life, E3, HOPE, etc and sell tons. And I'm sure we could capture the younger generations as well. Every 8 year old kid would cry and scream for a cereal named Haxor, or at least I know my nephew would.

Any thoughts?

The survey results from this season have been really good. One of the interesting results has been from the question "Would you be interestin in a season box set DVD for purchase?" for which the replies have been 33% yes, 33% no, and 33% "only if it came with a coupon for a free box of haxorflakes" (which I'm not sure if it means yes or no). So as we're working on these products we've been toying with the idea of actually including said coupon. Just something simple that said "Send in your box top and UPC code with receipt and we'll reimburse you for the box of haxorflakes". Now of course nobody could actually take us up on that since they don't exist, but I have a strange feeling that if the DVD does come with the coupon we may end up with a few fake box tops in the mail...

I'd actually look into getting some custom cerial boxes printed if it werent so expensive and we had some decent graphics for it including box top, UPC, nutritional information and ingredients on one side, receipe ideas on the other side, and maybe a Haxor Maze or word puzzle of the back of the box.

Food for thought.

Turns out it's something we could do. As for the food we could actually just buy boxs of cornflakes and swap boxes, ensuring that the serial bags are sealed.

The printing is hella expensive but they look great.

http://www.gopackaging.com/retail-boxes.aspx

FTA: "While there is no hard and fast rule, the average initial cost for a retail packaging project is $2,500-$3,500 for a full-color, and $1,500-$2,500 for one color."

And

"Q: What if I need less than 100 boxes?

A: You may want to consider our direct digital printing option which costs more per piece but carries much lower up-front costs. You can expect to pay about $20-60 per box for this service."

Yikes! So who wants a $30 box of haxorflakes now?

Turns out it's something we could do. As for the food we could actually just buy boxs of cornflakes and swap boxes, ensuring that the serial bags are sealed.

<snippet>

Yikes! So who wants a $30 box of haxorflakes now?

I must admit though, I would love to have a framed box of Haxorflaked signed by the Hak.5 crew hanging on in office, right next to my fake MIT, Yale and Harvard diplomas.

If its something we could get the printing of down to $5 we'd actually consider doing a limited edition of the season 1 box set where the first 100 purchases of the dvd actually come in a signed hax0rflakes box. i bet that would get the ball rolling. too bad the printing is absolutely nuts. its always like that whenever your getting anything under a quantity of 1000 printed.

Thats how the original prop was made. Actually it's just a standard 8.5x11 (A1'ish) sheet of paper printed on a color laser at work taped to a box of, um, frosted mini wheats i think. But no this is something where we don't have the equipment to do it right, and if we're going to do something its going to be right.

If its something we could get the printing of down to $5 we'd actually consider doing a limited edition of the season 1 box set where the first 100 purchases of the dvd actually come in a signed hax0rflakes box. i bet that would get the ball rolling. too bad the printing is absolutely nuts. its always like that whenever your getting anything under a quantity of 1000 printed.

http://www.extra-mile.com/boxes/cereal.htm

I'll take one, thanks.