Special Serial Board / Connector.

what do you use these for?

If for some reason (bad flash or a corrupt firmware bin file) you can't access the router through ethernet (bricking) you can use the four pins

located on the PCB to establish a serial connection and look at the initial bootloader (u-boot) and manually flash a new firmware and configure other settings. Just make sure the converter you use/buy is 3.3 volts VCC and not 5.

Edited by csystem

OUCH $30? That and the guy didn't email me when they were in stock... makes me not want to do business with him anymore.

one of the only sites i've found them on... I was disappointed at the price tag, and the fact they have no more 121's in only the pcb.... Mr-Protocol, have you found any cheaper?

If for some reason (bad flash or a corrupt firmware bin file) you can't access the router through ethernet (bricking) you can use the four pins

located on the PCB to establish a serial connection and look at the initial bootloader (u-boot) and manually flash a new firmware and configure other settings. Just make sure the converter you use/buy is 3.3 volts VCC and not 5.

It's not a brick if you can still get to if from these pins. It's a brick when the only thing it can be used for is a paper weight. ;)

While awaiting my new 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit to arrive (because my current one is apparently !#$!$@!$'d), I got a package from an eBay purchase!

I can confirm that the board I linked to below works flawlessly, AND better than the Alfa rig, because it supplies power to the board as well as serial connectivity! w00t!!

I took a chance, and for $3.99/free shipping, thought what the hell?

It works GREAT! it's 3.3v or 5v, comes with a spiffy 4-wire connector wire. The little board it comes with has 5 pins: 5v, 3.3v, Tx, Rx, Gnd

Plugged into my Win7 box, it found drivers and installed as: Prolific USB to Serial Com Port

Connected the 4 wires to my pineapple , and it powered up!! Fired up PuTTY and connected right up, right into console!

With the performance of this little guy, I'd say F**K $30 for that Alfa-branded one, not to mention the Alfa one has to be either plugged into a 9-pin serial, or you have to have a 9-pin serial to USB cable in addition to the Alfa serial board, AND you also have to additionally supply power to the board. (I was gifted one of the Alfa serial connectors and can confirm it works as well, but not without the gyrations mentioned above.)

This little guy does it all for a nice price.

I have no connection to this eBay guy other than to share my experience, and to hope it helps someone here looking for a great quality USB to Serial for this project. I couldn't be happier for the money, and the shipping was reasonably quick (he shipped the next day), but takes a bit in transit due to it being overseas.

eta: I just placed an order for a 2nd one...never hurts to have a spare! :)

PL2303HX USB to TTL - $3.99 - free shipping

$(KGrHqNHJBUE63VVILHMBO1y5OI6Eg~~60_58.JPG

While awaiting my new 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit to arrive (because my current one is apparently !#$!$@! d), I got a package from an eBay purchase!

I can confirm that the board I linked to below works flawlessly, AND better than the Alfa rig, because it supplies power to the board as well as serial connectivity! w00t!!

I took a chance, and for $3.99/free shipping, thought what the hell?

It works GREAT! it's 3.3v or 5v, comes with a spiffy 4-wire connector wire. The little board it comes with has 5 pins: 5v, 3.3v, Tx, Rx, Gnd

Plugged into my Win7 box, it found drivers and installed as: Prolific USB to Serial Com Port

Connected the 4 wires to my pineapple , and it powered up!! Fired up PuTTY and connected right up, right into console!

With the performance of this little guy, I'd say F**K $30 for that Alfa-branded one, not to mention the Alfa one has to be either plugged into a 9-pin serial, or you have to have a 9-pin serial to USB cable in addition to the Alfa serial board, AND you also have to additionally supply power to the board. (I was gifted one of the Alfa serial connectors and can confirm it works as well, but not without the gyrations mentioned above.)

This little guy does it all for a nice price.

I have no connection to this eBay guy other than to share my experience, and to hope it helps someone here looking for a great quality USB to Serial for this project. I couldn't be happier for the money, and the shipping was reasonably quick (he shipped the next day), but takes a bit in transit due to it being overseas.

eta: I just placed an order for a 2nd one...never hurts to have a spare! :)

PL2303HX USB to TTL - $3.99 - free shipping

$%28KGrHqNHJBUE63VVILHMBO1y5OI6Eg%7E%7E60_58.JPG

haha that's the one I purchased right after Darren mentioned the mark4 using serial to repair broken firmwares.

I too like this model, haven't tested flashing but can confirm the rest.