Strange Behaviour?

Hello all

I've been having some really wierd issues with my wifi pineapple... It wont work half the time... some times i can run wp3.sh and it will work flawlessly other times i have to try over and over until it will ping and let me in...

It's really acting strange and it makes experimenting in public hard...

I have a number of questions also that i would like answered if possible:

1, Do you have to run wp3.sh every time you start from a fresh cold boot etc or is it just to setup ICS etc...? Reason i ask is i only ever seem to be able to connect to the interface IF i run wp3.sh??

2, Is the 1.0.2 firmware stable and fully functional as i tried karma on mine and it didn't really seem to be very effective? I'm not sure if it is actually working?

3, I tried flashing it to 1.9 but it got stuck at a point where it was saying something about your ip is 192.168.0... when i made sure the ip was 172.16.42.42??? Luckily it didn't brick it... what is going wrong here?

4, do i REALLY need to flash it? or is 1.0.2 fine to use? i hate flashing things!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Edited by rotunda

Hello all

I've been having some really wierd issues with my wifi pineapple... It wont work half the time... some times i can run wp3.sh and it will work flawlessly other times i have to try over and over until it will ping and let me in...

It's really acting strange and it makes experimenting in public hard...

I have a number of questions also that i would like answered if possible:

1, Do you have to run wp3.sh every time you start from a fresh cold boot etc or is it just to setup ICS etc...? Reason i ask is i only ever seem to be able to connect to the interface IF i run wp3.sh??

2, Is the 1.0.2 firmware stable and fully functional as i tried karma on mine and it didn't really seem to be very effective? I'm not sure if it is actually working?

3, I tried flashing it to 1.9 but it got stuck at a point where it was saying something about your ip is 192.168.0... when i made sure the ip was 172.16.42.42??? Luckily it didn't brick it... what is going wrong here?

4, do i REALLY need to flash it? or is 1.0.2 fine to use? i hate flashing things!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Please search first next time. Its really important.

1. yes

2. yes but theres some tricks to it. (see http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25160&hl=%20usb%20%20jasager&st=0)

3. it takes multiple tries. otherwise mr.protocol LOVES giving out the link (hehe)

4. learn to flash it anyways. flashing it is a good thing to know, particularly as firmware 2.0 is coming out very soon (like today hopefully).

telot

Please search first next time. Its really important.

1. yes

2. yes but theres some tricks to it. (see http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=25160&hl=%20usb%20%20jasager&st=0)

3. it takes multiple tries. otherwise mr.protocol LOVES giving out the link (hehe)

4. learn to flash it anyways. flashing it is a good thing to know, particularly as firmware 2.0 is coming out very soon (like today hopefully).

telot

Thanks for the link. It takes multiple tries? i tried about 4 times then i got worried i would brick it so gave up... I followed all the tutorials on here and MrProtocol's you tube video...

Good news on 2.0, what are the main issues with 1.0.2??

Off topic but on that link you gave me, this sucks!

I think I may have found something here: http://technet.micro...y/cc730957.aspx Correct me if I'm wrong.

"Because the wireless networks are explicitly marked as broadcast or non-broadcast, wireless clients running Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 and Windows Vista, send only probe requests for non-broadcast wireless networks."

This would make the Wifi Pineapple useless when targeting a Windows 7, Vista or Server 2008 PC.

Edited by rotunda

According to Sebkinne, its pretty tough to brick these little guys. I've personally flashed mine a half dozen times with no problems. Seb flashes these things all day long and claims he never bricks them. Don't be scerd.

See Seb's 2.0 firmware place holder thread on these forums to get a taste of the bug fixes and improvements.

And yes, not being able to get win7 boxes easily does suck. Good news is, theres room for improvement :) mreidiv has already come up with one solution using the USB rubber ducky to make a win7 box susceptible to the pineapple's yes-manning. I'm sure we can come up with other solutions as well!

telot

Yes yes, I will hurry up. Too many things to do :(

I will get it out today though.

It should help you with your issues, IF you flash it that is. That is highly recommended.

The new MK3s from the Hakshop actually ship with 1.9 and soon 2.0.

Best,

Sebkinne

Yes yes, I will hurry up. Too many things to do :(

I will get it out today though.

It should help you with your issues, IF you flash it that is. That is highly recommended.

The new MK3s from the Hakshop actually ship with 1.9 and soon 2.0.

Best,

Sebkinne

Sounds good i will certainly re flash it I still don't get why it got stuck though? any ideas?

heres the part i get stuck at? i've tried several times now?

my ip is 172.16.42.42 and the device is 172.16.42.1

55wtf.th.png

Edited by rotunda

I've just tried this with the 2.0 firmware and its still doing the same thing, tried changing my IP to the range it states in the GUI, still gets stuck?!? what's going on??

Please try disabling all other NICs on your computer.

Hi Seb

I did that every time as per the tutorial.

I've check msinfo32 and winpcap (NPF) is running ???

not sure whats going on here :L

Edited by rotunda

Hi Seb

I did that every time as per the tutorial.

I've check msinfo32 and winpcap (NPF) is running ???

not sure whats going on here :L

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled winpcap? (Using an administrator account)

Try setting your NIC Card's static IP to 192.168.0.25 instead of the 172.16.42.42 and give that a shot. There were some other issues I had while making the flashing video with it needing to have been powered off for like 5 minutes before attempting to flash. Check out the link in my signature for the video and for the other things I did to get mine working.

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled winpcap? (Using an administrator account)

Try setting your NIC Card's static IP to 192.168.0.25 instead of the 172.16.42.42 and give that a shot. There were some other issues I had while making the flashing video with it needing to have been powered off for like 5 minutes before attempting to flash. Check out the link in my signature for the video and for the other things I did to get mine working.

Tried with 192.168.0.25 as the IP for my ethernet card. no joy

Tried reinstalling winpcap again (as admin) (3rd install in total) no joy

I've always made sure the pineapple has been off for 5 mins, i have followed your video tutorial since the first attempt (good video by the way) but it never works it just gets stuck, very frustrating

Edited by rotunda

I've run into this issue attempting to flash before. Don't worry - you're not going to brick it. Just throw a switch in there. Not the one you use for your home LAN but a spare if you have one. This has to do with auto negotiating ethernet ports. When we flash 'em at the HakShop half the laptops we use can go straight ethernet while the other laptops require a switch in between. What you'll need is something that looks like this:

[PC running Freifunk] ====ethernet==== [Cheap 10/100 Switch] ====ethernet==== [pineapple]

I've run into this issue attempting to flash before. Don't worry - you're not going to brick it. Just throw a switch in there. Not the one you use for your home LAN but a spare if you have one. This has to do with auto negotiating ethernet ports. When we flash 'em at the HakShop half the laptops we use can go straight ethernet while the other laptops require a switch in between. What you'll need is something that looks like this:

[PC running Freifunk] ====ethernet==== [Cheap 10/100 Switch] ====ethernet==== [pineapple]

Hello Darren

Thanks for your reply!

That's interesting! Sucks that I don't have one spare at the moment though. I will have to source one I guess.

I may try to use my parents desktop see if their NIC overcomes this issue. All my other boxes/laptops/netbooks here run linux/backtrack

Thanks for clearing it up at least I know what I need to do now :)

Good to know, hopefully that fixes some of the issues people have. Wouldn't a cross over cable avoid the need for a switch in those circumstances?

Good to know, hopefully that fixes some of the issues people have. Wouldn't a cross over cable avoid the need for a switch in those circumstances?

I don't think it would its like using a hub instead of a switch with 2 straight through cables, its the auto negotiating thats the issue which is controlled by the device not the cable and hubs don't touch this side of things and clearly nor do some NICs

for referance i used a crossover cable which didn't work

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this but it may help others to know that Darren was 100% correct!! I used a switch and it flashed flawlessly!!

I'm now running 2.1 and all tests are showing a flawless flash :) thank you all for your help!

Edited by Rotunda