Email

darkzar99

Ok, I am going to send an email to the head IT person of my school district, I need some guidelines on what to say and/or how to say it, I want to sound like I am being serious and so that she will take me seriously, any suggestions? See my other post if you don't know what I am talking about

Ok, I am going to send an email to the head IT person of my school district, I need some guidelines on what to say and/or how to say it, I want to sound like I am being serious and so that she will take me seriously, any suggestions? See my other post if you don't know what I am talking about

honestly, be honest and act intelligent without saying that you know more than the sysadmin. start off like this:

Hi, I am (real name here) a Nth grader in xyz school. While I may not know everything that you do, I would like to tell you of a few things that I have noticed along with some suggestions that I would be interested in sharing with you. I am also willing to assist if you would like a student aide, because while I understand a lot about these issues, I can and am willing to learn more.

The first thing is a reason...

here is one suggestion that I have heard can work for this....

Etc...

again, sound very polite, intelligent and willingness to help. as a sysadmin I may or maynot accept the help offer, but if the email sounds well thought out and presented, I would really thank you and appreciate it.

an example of a student who thought they knew more than me is this:

I'm trying to look up Fire Schools/Colleges through search engines and they come up forbidden. I would also like to add that I am extremely angry because of this. I shouldn't have a limit on trying to find where to go for college.

in this example the student was just fine until he added the remark that he was extremely angry. He should have done some research and explained exactly what he was looking for with an example such as: "I am trying to use google to find colleges in new york, and when I click on link xyz.com I get an access denied. Can you help me get this unblocked?"

on the other hand, this was more thought out and sounded a bit more respectful:

There are a couple bicycle product web sites that I can't get into.

THe web url is www.mtbr.com and I cant get into any of teh technical

discussions, photo contests, or anything else that I use for my

product info sources. Also, I have been having troubles geting into

www.nationalgeographic.com. I rely on these places not only for

school activities( online classes) but also for free time and

competition reasons, (I race mountain bikes and use a lot of parts).

If you could fix these problems I would be very thankful.

another example that I have seen and plainly ignored until another teacher politely asked me about it was this:

I NEED AN EMAIL ACCOUNT!! IF YOUR GOING TO BLOCK WEB EMAIL YOU NEED

TO VERIFY THAT EVERY STUDENT WHO NEEDS ONE HAS ONE. BECAUSE OF YOU I

NOW HAVE NO COMMUNICATION WITH MY TEACHER AND NOW WAY TO SEND IN

ASSIGNMENTS TILL YOU DECIDE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I NEED A

WORKING EMAIL ACCOUNT !!!! PLEASE !!!!!.

Rather than being rational about it, its full of caps and not very respectful.

Basically I could come up with more, but simply think it through and re-read it before you send it off so that it sounds intelligent, repsectful and is actually helful to the situation. We don't always have time to take all problems presented seriously from students, however if presented right you may end up learning more (and teaching too) than you could have ever expected.

Manuel, a school distrcit system admin.

Kidnap one of her kids, then cut off a finger and post it to her with a letter that is constructed from nothing other then words you have cut out of newspapers and magazines.

lol @ Manuel's examples. "Oh, you wanted the proxy opened? I thought you wanted your account deleted, mailbox emptied, and computer disassembled and sold as scrap. My bad."

Thanks! I really was thinking that at the time when the students emailed that. :)

if/when they email me and say that they cant get some site to work, I get to be a devil and play with their minds. I'll observe their computer and see what site they are visiting. Then I'll block pages like google.com, watch them try close everything out, relogon and try again. It won't work so they log off and move to another computer and in the mean time I give access back. THey think oh cool it was that computer. Then I let them get one or two pages in and block it again. :twisted:

Then just as I see them attempting to email me, I unblock it and play dumb, like hmm are you sure somethings not wrong with your account because I can access it just fine.

Although, since I really can't be that mean (for long), I do eventually tell them what happened and that if they want me to take them seriouls they need to be more specific as to what exactly is blocked and what they need.

So far those few kids that I have done that to have really put more thought into their emails when they need help.

AS for the others posting in this thread, I like some of the ideas. :wink:

But metatron I have no kids so I say cut his finger off and tape it to the letter,

Sparda I have no "gibson" (so to speak), but I do have a "King-Arthur",

Spider I am "Agent Smith",

and lastly Cosmo my spam settings block 1337$p3ak.

:roll: :D :wink:

-Manuel

Ok thanks eveyone, actually i was going to write it and sign it as one of my parents but actually I think this way would be better if I did it with my name, then also gave her contact information for my parents in case she needed to contact them

If you're willing to do so, I would recomend posting the actual letter here (obviously without your real name, address, and any other revelant info) and we could let you know if there are any problems with it. I'm a bit of a grammer-asshole so I would be willing to help out there.

i think all of these are great choices, and personally im impressed at the level of maturity all of the above have shown (minus manuel_l). personally i would reccomend meeting her late at night as she walks to her car. Its a little more personal that way.

i think all of these are great choices, and personally im impressed at the level of maturity all of the above have shown (minus manuel_l). personally i would reccomend meeting her late at night as she walks to her car. Its a little more personal that way.
yeah, right