ARP to redirect trafic

lucass

Hi, is it possible to use cain & abel to do arp which will send victims packets somewhere else than it real destination? The problem is when one guy in our network runs emule. There is no chance to open a website when he does that. I was thinking maybe it could be done by doing arp so his computer would send everything to some fake local IP (like 192.168.1.300) instead of real gateway.

Or maybe you know any other way to limit transfer of that computer?

Thanks,

Lucas

Or you could just set your router to bottleneck or traffic shape his traffic.

I'm assuming this is a roommate or something so you could do that if you have access to the router's settings but if not, then just ask the guy to limit his dl speed or get the person who does control the router to do it for you.

It seems like you want to take the difficult route to answer a realitivitly easy problem. That is unless he controls the router and he's an asshole, then you may be to do some nasty things to gain control over the bandwidth.

If your paying the bill, i suggest this. Barge into his room, turn that shit off, and tell him loudly that no one can use the internet because of this. If he complains, take his ethernet cable away. If there is a large enough group of you this will work, i've done it before. If he keeps doing it, steal his mouse.

If hees using windows, delete the Winsock layer. That aughta fuck a wired ethernet connection over severly (your status for the ethernet is limited or no connectivity)

Added bonus (unless he knows what hes doing, he'll be completely at a loss...

EDIT: you could also set up another router and just block all traffic on the emule port

A more long term option is QOS. I have the p2p traffic on my network set as bulk traffic, and html/dns/ftp/etc (the important ones) set as primium traffic. This means that anytime no one is browsing, p2p runs full speed, when someone starts using a web browser, the p2p traffic is throttled back. While I still can't fix idiots running bit torrent with 20 fucking downloads crawling along at 3kps, this does fix the bulk of the problems. And allows people to download stuff at fair rate while not effecting browsing and email. If a user/flatmate starts flouting the suggestions, i simple block the p2p port there using/unplug them until they wander along and ask why its not working. Then I explain to them again why we need to keep downloads limited to 1 file at a time per user, and make a point of resetting the limits on there bit torrent clients myself. While initally there was some resistance (ie "WHO PUT YOU IN CHARGE MOFO?") this has proved a popular idea as everyone gets there downloads, and everyone can use the internet, at the same time.

This is exactly what I need for next year's student housing. Well, hopefully won't need it at all, only 3 of us in the house and the one girl doesn't play games/download and only uses the net for messenger and web browsing. Me and the other guy in the house use it for games/p2p also so might have to implement this for both our sakes. I'll have a looksie on google nearer the time if I need it...

A linksys WRT54G (you'll need to do your homework on the versions there are) plus DD-WRT is a cheap, easy to use and effective solution. OpenWRT is more powerful, but more complex. I'd recommend something along the lines of my last post as a default, as its not fair that someone who doesn't download get borked because you do. If you can swing it, make a dedicated torrent box with remote access and limit p2p to that.