freeBSD HELP!!!

hakgipc

ok. i installed free bsd and i booted it up know i am stuck cause i see no gui when it loads and asks 4 a user name and pw. when i enter usr and pw in it stays on command line it dosnt load up no gui.

so is there a cmd that i type so it loads up the os in gui lol

im stuck lol

:lol:

Sorry, didn't quite understand that post.

But i'm guessing your asking what forums are for.

Well forums are for people for communicate by, other communcations methods include e-mail/letters and talking to people.

I don't have a problem with people asking questions on forums. But questions which are very easliy answered by simply reading the documentation that they should have read or can easily be found from other resources are a waste of space.

right, load freeBSD, and login ass root, then type this *exactly as i put here*

pkg_add -r kde

echo "exec startkde" >> ~/.xinitrc

startx

That gets a gui for you (http://freebsd.kde.org/)

(then when you reboot the machine, all you need to do is login and type startx)

But i'll be honest, it took 30 installs over a month to get used to freeBSD, get it working, install apache22, php and mysql from source, and update everything on the system. FreeBSD is kinda complicated if you've only used XP, but once it works, its amazing.

ok. i installed free bsd and i booted it up know i am stuck cause i see no gui when it loads and asks 4 a user name and pw. when i enter usr and pw in it stays on command line it dosnt load up no gui.

so is there a cmd that i type so it loads up the os in gui lol

im stuck lol

:lol:

Oh boy.. Where to start where to start. First of all let me say that if you had bothered to even skim the freebsd handbook then you would not be writing this post.

On that note. What you need to do is install cvsup and update both your ports and packages. You then need to install xorg and configure it. Then install your window manager of choice. Then edit your ~/.xinitrc file. Then you need to type startx.

Keep in mind that this is a very basic idea of what you should do to set your system up. Read through the handbook and stop asking for handouts.

Also as vako said. It also took me more than one install and a lot of reading the handbook untill I was comfortable with freebsd. Do the research, learn for yourself. People are happy to help, and Im happy to help just so long as you put some effort into it. If you want me to walk you thkrough an install we can set up a time on skype. send me a pm on the forums.

Its like if your in france... and cant speak a word of french... but try, the locals you are trying to speak too will usually speak english to help you... where as if you go up and just start speaking english.. they'll keep talking in french...

You gotta put a little bit of effort in first ;)

*Don't know where that post came from, why i typed it, or why french people can be arrogant that way... and honestly.. im not on crack.. i should go now*