linux dist

hakgipc

hey guys.

how can i make my own linux distribution

if i remember correctly the answer to this question is always that if you need to ask then you shouldn't try, but if you still do wanna

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

also, has anybody heard of a "debian from scratch" project. I remember hearing about it from somewhere, i can't remember at all where though. It was basically a set of documentation explaining how to compile a debian system. Basically the same result as a regular debian system, only created through a much more painful and tiresome process as the regular system.

No point in making a linux system really, just download one. If you interested in linux i'd obtain a second PC, doesn't have to be ace, just made sometime in the 2000's, and try a bunch of distro's like Ubunutu, Suse, Redhat, Debian or whatever. Just play around with them, search digg for tutorials and give yourself little goals like "make a LAMP box". Takes time, but you won't be able to make linux with your current skill set.

you can compile your own kernel to incorporate drivers and such, but making your own distro is just plain stupid, unless your apple, which I highly doubt.

GOOGLE: howto compile kernel

I'm stupid?

and we all know it, we just didn't tell you :P

I suppose that it would be futile to point out that if you are building say gentoo from stage one you are essentially building your own distro. A distro is just the kernel with a bunch of software to accomplish a specific task or set of tasks.

Building, maintaining, and marketing a distribution is a huge undertaking.

I suppose that it would be futile to point out that if you are building say gentoo from stage one you are essentially building your own distro. A distro is just the kernel with a bunch of software to accomplish a specific task or set of tasks.

Building, maintaining, and marketing a distribution is a huge undertaking.

Building and maintaining nUbuntu doesn't take much effort.