- Pingtel SIP Softphone

- SIPPS

- OpenH323

- Asterisk

- PhoneGaim

- SJphone

"List found in Cainøs User Manual" :P

No Ventrillo or Teamspeak :S

I'd give it a whirl, since I don't have an xbox i can't say either way. It just depends on whether the Xbox team used regular VOIP stuff or designed there own. I'm guessing that it probally is regualar VOIP stuff, no need to reinvent the wheel, but they might have tweaked it to there needs. So, give it a try and report back on how it faired.

Cain will sniff anything that uses SIP standards. Which should cover pretty much all VOIP programs out there except Skype, because Skype uses it's own proprietary protocol. But that was reversed recently, so it should be too long before that can be intercepted as well. I would take a look at Zfone tho if you are worried about your VoIP security :)

Regarding the xbox question, it depends on how Xbox live transfers data. If they use standard protocols for voice communication then Cain should be able to pick it up just fine. Unfortunately doing a man in the middle attack on Xbox live would be rather difficult at first because the user would probably be able to immediately notice the terrible lag in the connection before you were able to start forwarding packets appropriately. Definitely an interesting question though. I would love to see someone try this out and write up a summary of the attack and the results.

Again, I'm not sure how Microsoft set up the Xbox live network, and what sort of protocols it's using. Some simple tcpdumping should find this out though....unfortunately I don't have an xbox live account anymore.

the VOIP protocol Live! uses is an custom protocol it is heavily zipped (you know made it smaller (forgot the correct word :P)), but it isn't encrypted like the rest of the packet, if you look into the XDK documentation you'll find the full packet documentation. the packets are custom build and so are the VOIP packets. cain can't read it, if you want to read it you'll have to build an sniffer yourself (and see if you can 'dezip' it.)

the VOIP protocol Live! uses is an custom protocol it is heavily zipped (you know made it smaller (forgot the correct word :P)), but it isn't encrypted like the rest of the packet, if you look into the XDK documentation you'll find the full packet documentation. the packets are custom build and so are the VOIP packets. cain can't read it, if you want to read it you'll have to build an sniffer yourself (and see if you can 'dezip' it.)

I think the big fancy word is "compressed"

Dude, thanks for that! I was sure MS had fucked with something but I couldn't see them reinventing the VOIP wheel.

a couple of my idiot friends tried this after i made the mistake to show the noobs cain and able. They gave up after five minutes of trying to get cain to work, so I dont know about this. sorry

I think the big fancy word is "compressed"

he! that's the word i was looking for! :P

hmm. im quite the noob when it comes to cain. but the yea. regarding the lag, i would be able to tell right away that something was up. like when im uploading a video, the connection bar would turn red almost right away. but if i get the chance, i will try it. :)