Free Remote Support Software

Charles

I'm trying to find something that is easier to use than Microsoft's "Remote Assistance" software. I was playing around with TeamViewer the other day, which seems to work fairly well. Unfortunately I don't know how secure it would be if used on a machine connected directly to the internet.

Any other suggestions?

well there are a few options you can try. first the one witch i think is the best would be logmein, i currently use this to support a few small business customers and i have not had a problem yet. also there's go to my pc, go to assist express.

a few questions on the use is this going to be for home of business use? do you have access to the network? and lastly are you connecting from a public computer or a personal comp (i.e. laptop, or a desktop at another location).

Personal use, so I don't really want to buy anything if I can accomplish my goal without spending money. :P

I'll be supporting a friend of mine who lives around 300 miles away and as far as I know the machine is directly connected to the internet.

I was messing around with TeamViewer and it looks like I can blacklist/whitelist clients as well as set a rather long password. That seems to make it a bit more secure, since I could allow only my machine access and deny everything else.

I'll be connecting from either my desktop or my netbook.

Edited by Charles

yes this is true but if you don't have the active x installed or cannot install it it will run in java. but again you would have to have that installed. otherwise there are a few programs that make a virtual VPN connection so you can set that up and just use RDP (remote desktop Protocol). and all you would need is to setup the VPN. because RDP is built into most versions of windows.

Logemin is crap in my opinion, I just dont like its setup and have had issue with it crashing and eating up resources in the background. Seems to not work well with DEP either.

TeamViewer is one of the best free alternatives I have tried and something I use on a regular basis to help people, it works through firewalls and doesnt need port forwarding, and is also encrypted end to end. Problem with teamViewer is that someone at the other end needs to be there to allow the connection or start the connection to give you the login and pass. You can set it static, but that also makes it less secure in the process. There was also a recent buffer overflow hack for TeamViewer some time ago, but not sure if that applies to the latest version(s). Team viewer is also nice when working on Windows XP Home editiosn that only allow remote assistance and not RDP directly.

Standard Microsoft RDP works well, but needs certain ports forwarded and I have not had luck getting it to work outside of my LAN. For whatever reason, I think my ISP blocks its use as I am never able to connect from remote locations even with port forwarding.

SSH works though, but doesnt give me a GUI to really work on things or see what the client needs to show me is wrong, so you are limited to the CLI, but if you set up a VPN or tunnel with it, you can then RDP in just fine, which works better in my opinion than just a normal RDP session.

VNC seems outdated to me these days, and speed and security of it seems lacking in quality compared to TeamViewer. Plus VNC also requires port forwarding, so not the best solution either.

Edited by digip

Well TeamViewer sounds to be the best solution. I don't have much experience with it, tho after hearing the benefits i looked into it and i have to say that it is something i am going to check out. Thanks for passing along the info.

I'm trying to find something that is easier to use than Microsoft's "Remote Assistance" software. I was playing around with TeamViewer the other day, which seems to work fairly well. Unfortunately I don't know how secure it would be if used on a machine connected directly to the internet.

Any other suggestions?

I've been using teamviewer for a while now and it's been great to me. The only issue I have with it is that there is no android version yet :P

what were your exact concerns? I think it's better than remote desktop because someone can't just find it by trolling around with a port scanner.

Personal use, so I don't really want to buy anything if I can accomplish my goal without spending money. :P

I'll be supporting a friend of mine who lives around 300 miles away and as far as I know the machine is directly connected to the internet.

I was messing around with TeamViewer and it looks like I can blacklist/whitelist clients as well as set a rather long password. That seems to make it a bit more secure, since I could allow only my machine access and deny everything else.

I'll be connecting from either my desktop or my netbook.

Just noticed this post, stupid outline viewing mode :P At any rate you could just have him download The TeamviewerQS program (the join a session link on teamviewer.com) and have him give you his TV ID and 4 Digit PW every time he needs help. but that almost seems silly to me

I was debating on installing it and letting it run in the background after whitelisting my main desktop PC and netbook (and blacklisting everyone else), and setting a complex password.

I guess the thing I am worried about is that it'll leave a port open (or so nmap says that port is open when I run a scan on a test pc)

UltraVNC is easy to set up, its free and secure too.

I like having alternitives. TeamViewer is what I use all the time but consider checking out Mikogo as well. They say TeamViewer doesn't need admin rights which is true, but only on XP or systems where UAC has been disabled. Otherwise, it requires elevation. Mikogo doesn't. Other than that they're both equally useful.

I use vnc one click based on ultra vnc.

It's free and works great

http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

If you don't have a static ip just use dyndns.org (also free)

EDIT

I almost forgot.

With this your client wont need to open a port (although you will have to)

Edited by acer5050

• 2 years later...