Harddisk failure

debianuser

Hello all

could anyone explained me what happened?

I was working on my inspiron Dell 8600, finished the work, close the laptop, got out with the laptop in hands; while walking, i heard the hard disk spinning a little bit till I arrived in the office, and when I opened the laptop, I saw yah the ded blue screen microsoft, so I shut it down, and started the laptop again.. and this time I get an error "not bootable media found.." :?

si I boot with linux distro... nothing, no hardisk

what happened :cry: !

anyone could explain what happened... and what to do... i had two partitions on this hard disk with important datas.,,

thx

Spinrite isn't going to help if the laptop can't find the drive.

Firstly try taking the hard drive out and then putting it back in, it might have come loose for some reason and that might cause your problem.

Other than that I can't really suggest much than other to try playing with it in different configurations, putting in a different laptop/computer if you can and things like this.

Other than that just hope that you had a good recent backup.

Spinrite isn't going to help if the laptop can't find the drive.

Firstly try taking the hard drive out and then putting it back in, it might have come loose for some reason and that might cause your problem.

Other than that I can't really suggest much than other to try playing with it in different configurations, putting in a different laptop/computer if you can and things like this.

Other than that just hope that you had a good recent backup.

i've tried that.. but still the same...

i plugged the harddisk using an IDE laptop-pc cable but the pc does not detect it - so the harddisk is dead?

:roll:

Looks like the logic is dead... but check the conectors to make sure there ok. now you could try obtaining another disc, excatly the same make, model, production batch, and firmware version, and swapping the logic board over. But if it comes to that, and the data is worth enough, I'd get it done proffesionally. Maybe see if you can blag it under insurance. If the drive has failed within warrenty you can get a replacement, but you should have backups yadayadayar.

It's still a Dell. :lol:

it's not funny punk... three years of school work lost :roll:

I did have a backup but not a full one :roll:

but still you're right... Dell sucks... but hey send me the money and i promise i'll get an IBM... bummer

it really is still a dell. and how dare you call cooper a 'punk' hes metal as fuck dude

Well ok DELL SUCKS!!!! is that big enough?

no hold on...

D

E

L

L

S

U

C

K

S

feeling better brother?

and dont' come tell me I should get a toshiba... coz it's worse

I'm a fan of hp products because I've never had a problem with anything in the 10ish years I've been buying their laptops, towers (not me, my dad bought one without telling me - should have built one for him), printers, everything.

As for hdds (tower ide's), seagate. Love the 5-year warranty and they usally have a damn good rebate going once or twice a month on newegg. For laptops? no idea, yet to buy one.

Any news on your laptop? From what I read of the topic, I'd try what VaKo suggested and replace the logic board. Check ebay for a matchin hdd at a good price.

Good luck, I've got a ton (.5 gigs) of school documents so I'm always double-backing up once a month, losing it would be disasterous.

I'm a fan of hp products because I've never had a problem with anything in the 10ish years I've been buying their laptops, towers (not me, my dad bought one without telling me - should have built one for him), printers, everything.

As for hdds (tower ide's), seagate. Love the 5-year warranty and they usally have a damn good rebate going once or twice a month on newegg. For laptops? no idea, yet to buy one.

Any news on your laptop? From what I read of the topic, I'd try what VaKo suggested and replace the logic board. Check ebay for a matchin hdd at a good price.

Good luck, I've got a ton (.5 gigs) of school documents so I'm always double-backing up once a month, losing it would be disasterous.

i was wondering... if i was to replace the logic board... do i need to get an identical hard disk... or for laptop's hard disk the firmware is the same everywhere?

thx