Darren (motorcycle Camera Idea)

G-Stress

Just a thought after watching ep 7x09. Couldn't you take the webcam out of a lap-top and mount it to your helmet? I've never tried, but have an HP Tablet with a built in webcam I'm going to toy with as a security camera with some motion capturing software.

Just a thought, it would be an interesting homebrew mod.

Just a thought after watching ep 7x09. Couldn't you take the webcam out of a lap-top and mount it to your helmet? I've never tried, but have an HP Tablet with a built in webcam I'm going to toy with as a security camera with some motion capturing software.

Just a thought, it would be an interesting homebrew mod.

Unless the laptop is really old, I would rip the camera from it and make some mods.

You can buy helment cameras. When I walk the dog in the country I always see cyclists wearing them.

Have you discovered any dead bodies yet? You always hear it on the news; "Dead body discovered by man walking dog!"

The camera I showed off in 709 doubles as a webcam via USB. Also, I've done just that with a webcam mounted on my front fairing connected to an eeepc in my tankbag with Internet through a tethered Droid. Way too much complication to stream video.

Then I tried mounting my Droid in my helmet. It worked quite well, except for the audio. I can fix that with an external mic but I won't bother. My new helmet doesn't fit the droid and TBH I'm not interested in live streaming while riding.

Constantly recording while riding on the other hand is more useful. When the Hack Across America tour is over I hope to put together a great travel video. Sorta like my Roundabout The Chesapeake Bay videos but longer. Anyway, I'm more a fan of "produced" content.

As for helmet cams, there are a ton out there between the Aiptek, Vholdr, GoPro, etc. I much prefer a homebrew solution that sits *inside* the helmet.

I think I have just that solution with the cam I showed off on 709. It turns out I over paid (~$60) -- they can be had on Ebay for a third that shipped. So, considering that I'm happy with the video performance and they'll shoot for 3 hours continuously -- I picked up two more.

Woot for small cheap electronics.

D

The camera I showed off in 709 doubles as a webcam via USB. Also, I've done just that with a webcam mounted on my front fairing connected to an eeepc in my tankbag with Internet through a tethered Droid. Way too much complication to stream video.

Then I tried mounting my Droid in my helmet. It worked quite well, except for the audio. I can fix that with an external mic but I won't bother. My new helmet doesn't fit the droid and TBH I'm not interested in live streaming while riding.

Constantly recording while riding on the other hand is more useful. When the Hack Across America tour is over I hope to put together a great travel video. Sorta like my Roundabout The Chesapeake Bay videos but longer. Anyway, I'm more a fan of "produced" content.

As for helmet cams, there are a ton out there between the Aiptek, Vholdr, GoPro, etc. I much prefer a homebrew solution that sits *inside* the helmet.

I think I have just that solution with the cam I showed off on 709. It turns out I over paid (~$60) -- they can be had on Ebay for a third that shipped. So, considering that I'm happy with the video performance and they'll shoot for 3 hours continuously -- I picked up two more.

Woot for small cheap electronics.

D

How's the quality of those little buggers?

Sample video:

They look pretty damn good, not as high def tough but does it job.