airodump-ng vs kismet

Charles

Thoughts, opinions?

I tried using kismet, but kept having problems displaying the "network info" of whenever networks it picked up.

When I used airodump-ng, it displayed the BSSID and whatnot without having to go thru menus.

Is there any advantage to using Kismet over airodump?

Thanks!

kismet is good if thier is alot of hidden AP's, also kismet with the aircrack-ng plugin is better and the fact wardriving is better with kismet

http://www.larsen-b.com/Article/212.html

as you can get gps co-ordinates with it if you set it up right and have a gps etc

for actual cracking though ive always used aircrack or cowpatty with rainbow tables if i capture the wpa handshake

• 4 weeks later...
charles yes you can, i've always used the aircrack suite as a whole as it seems to work better for me. as your probably know, it helps if you have 2 wifi cards or more

How are you using two wifi cards?

I can only think of using one for airodump-ng with channel hopping and using another one "attacking" an accesspoint.

But is there any possibility to use 2 or more network cards together?

• 2 weeks later...
You can use kismet for captures? I guess that means that I need to do more research before asking stupid questions. :lol:

Well yea! I've run kismet with 4 wifi cards at once. Had them all channel hopping only three channels, so 1 card would be doing channels 1, 4, 7, then next would be doing 2, 5, 8, next would be doing 3, 6, 9, last would be doing 10, 6, 11. Going down the highway at 65+mph and you could miss an access point with just one card.

I haven't used kismet a lot.I only use the aircrack suite.

With airodump-ng you can see the clients that are connected to the AP.

I don't think kismet does that..correct me if i'm wrong.

c

When you are in Kismet, if you select an AP and press 'c' you can see the clients connected to that AP:

kismet_ssid_client.png

If the AP is not encrypted, or if you know the encryption key, you can also see the IP address of each client as well as the manufacturer of their wireless card and MAC address. Nifty stuff, for sure.

When you are in Kismet, if you select an AP and press 'c' you can see the clients connected to that AP:

kismet_ssid_client.png

If the AP is not encrypted, or if you know the encryption key, you can also see the IP address of each client as well as the manufacturer of their wireless card and MAC address. Nifty stuff, for sure.

Are you all using old builds of Kismet?

The new interface is much easer to use, supports Bluetooth and other plugins.

Kismet-2010-01-R1

screenshot1pr.png

screenshotey.png

Kismet-2010-01-R1

Have you gotten the autowep plugin to actually crack a key yet? I set up a machine streaming radio for packets and gave up after a couple days.

Kismet-2010-01-R1

I'm running Debian 5 on my laptop; the "old" version of Kismet is the newest version in the repos. Haven't needed the new version, so I haven't compiled it.

• 2 weeks later...
How are you using two wifi cards?

I can only think of using one for airodump-ng with channel hopping and using another one "attacking" an accesspoint.

But is there any possibility to use 2 or more network cards together?

using multiple wifi cards is WAY better nuff said

sorry bout the late reply

personally i just find airodump-ng much easier to use.

Yes that is true, but airodump-ng does not give u the ability to search for non broadcasting wireless. As opposed to Kismet.

If you do war-driving frequently you will find kismet very useful.

Yes that is true, but airodump-ng does not give u the ability to search for non broadcasting wireless. As opposed to Kismet.

If you do war-driving frequently you will find kismet very useful.

really? i thought you could also reveal with airodump-ng, or is that only with kismet running, or having been run for that AP?

really? i thought you could also reveal with airodump-ng, or is that only with kismet running, or having been run for that AP?

Correction, you may be able to use airodump-ng to detect non broadcasting SSIDs, but Kismet seems to be a good choice.

Edited by Infiltrator