Two internet connections = fail safe

proskater123

Ok so I now have two lines out of my house and i was wondering if there was a way to set up windows server 2003, with three interfaces; two with the seprate lines going in, and the other out to my network. So if one of the lines fail it switches over to the other one and my network will still have internet. It doesn't have to be windows 2003 but either on the software side or a really cheap hardware appliance.

Thanks

/p

P.s couldn't find the spell check. Sorry

Ok so I now have two lines out of my house and i was wondering if there was a way to set up windows server 2003, with three interfaces; two with the seprate lines going in, and the other out to my network. So if one of the lines fail it switches over to the other one and my network will still have internet. It doesn't have to be windows 2003 but either on the software side or a really cheap hardware appliance.

Thanks

/p

P.s couldn't find the spell check. Sorry

Depending on what you ultimately need to do, Untangle has WAN failover and much more.

(Never mind, I see that it is a premium feature, not a free as in beer feature. Sorry.) http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Main_Page

Give Astaro Security Gateway a shot.

Server 2003 can do adapter teaming and should be able to handle the fail over just fine, but they generally are for when on the same subnet/cluster. If you have two seperate internet connections, Im not exactly sure how that would work or to set it up, but Im sure it can be done in Server 2003.

Alternatively, you could try this guys solution:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-7343-0.ht...ssageID=3024113

It basically pings one network gateway at a set interval, then if cant be reached, defaults to the other nics gateway(I am assuming, have not tried any of this myself).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...amp;btnG=Search

Just buy a Cisco RV042 4-Port load balancer, it will let you do a full back connection or you can use both internet ports at the same time, and let the router balance your requirements between them for maximum bandwidth efficiency. The power regiments tend to be less than running a server to do the job, its less hassle to do and there only like £80 new or I've seen them for £40 on a refurbished units.

I'm not a Cisco guy so I can't comment on the last posters hardware, but some of the DrayTek and ZyXEL routers also provide WAN balancing and Fail Over (prehaps my approach is wrong, but I go for WAN balancing rather than simply having the line sat, waiting to be used)

It is not recommended to do NIC teaming on 2003 because it is very unstable and NIC teaming causes unpredictable network behavior. Don't get me wrong NIC teaming (failover not load balanced) works and if you are not so concerned about 100% redundancy then team two NICs. One idea is why not have two switches, one active and one backup. Setup the NICs with the same IP and make the switch become active if one fails.

I'm not sure what you mean by cheap hardware, but I have a peplink multiwan router that I use for connecting 4 of my neighbors wlans into one fat pipe using wrt's in client mode. Of course you don"t have to use the wrts unless you want to go wireless but you might want to check out what peplink has avail or see if you can pickup a cheaper used one.