BIOS Password Bypass

EchoGhost2000

iso will only boot after the system has passed the post , its the job of cmos to to see what devices it can see and boot from them , i'm pretty sure you can buy pci cards that contain a bios on them to aid fixing such issues but there not cheap, so jumpers and batterys it is for such anoyances

Works on desktops, but somthing like a firmware written password, like on some ThinkPads and Sony laptops wont bipass this way. Had that problem with the neighbors thumb scanner on her laptop, couldn't bypass it even with the battery removed.

Fujitsu Siemens have a 4 digit pin that can't be removed (at least on their business class laptops)

How many guesses do you get? Or to put it another way what is stopping me trying all 10000 possible pins (other than bordem)

How many guesses do you get? Or to put it another way what is stopping me trying all 10000 possible pins (other than bordem)

in most BIOS there is a 3 strike and your out policy when it comes to the bios password requiring a restart including laptops and desktops that have TPM such as the laptops in question

yeah 3 strike and then reboot and try again :).I agree most desktops will remove the password on a cmos reset. Laptops can have their own reset procedure (just requiring a little googling)normally involves taking it apart and any 4 digit code if it comes as standard is most likely generated via the serial number or the owners birth date... however if the computer actually boots an OS then it's fair game also try some of those 'backdoor' passwords that turn up when you google them...

The ThinkPads are a special case when it comes to removing / resetting the bios password.

Most Lenovo (IBM) Laptops are only secured by a hdd password which can (you guessed it) removed by replacing the hdd. you'll most likely get errors / warnings about a none genuine lenovo harddisk blablabla (that one can be fixed by an update from the lenovo support website)

As far as i know, most of the never thinkpads, especially the T series, have TPM chips (some are on a removable board). don't even try to remove the TPM board an start the machine, it won't work.

If only the Bios Master password is set, you might have a change because you can get into the bios in some sort of "user mode". That means that you can change only some options.

The removing the battery trick doesn't always work. There is however the jumper method which most boards have. Some involve moving a jumper and moving it back, other's require placing a jumper on two pins (or shorting two contact points). One thing I found that works on some boards, NOT ALL AND POTENTIALLY RISKY, is to remove the battery, and short the positive and negative terminals of the battery contacts on the board.

The removing the battery trick doesn't always work.

It usually doesn't work if you leave the power supply switch on. The point is to drain the motherboard and it's capacitors of power, thus causing the CMOS, which consists of volatile memory, to discharge and thus 'forget' every thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone No Of Any ISO Boots, Or Any Hacks/Tricks To Bypass The BIOS Password.

yea its easy.... make a killcmos disk ( hoping that the pc/laptop will get past post and try to boot off cd/usb/hd )

step #1. get nero

step #2. get windows 98 boot disk ( can use floppy or extract the contents of the EXE with winRAR )

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

step #3. get cmos killer.

http://majorgeeks.com/KillCMOS_d2969.html

now open nero at the dialog screen on the left it ask what type of disc you want to make..

click on "cd-rom (BOOT)"

now on the left it will have a tab called "boot" on this tab at the top it will let you choose on of two options

to use a removable media ( floppy disc a:-b:) or to use a img ( .iso, .img )

then click "new"

then just drag and drop the killcmos.exe into the pane ( window ) on the left and click burn...

now boot up your pc/laptop... if it ask to boot with cdrom support click YES.

at the dos prompt you can type "killcmos" you will hear a beep then the laptop will restart with no bios password..

sometimes it takes 2 tries... and also on some models when it restarts go into bios and change 1 setting then save.

some bios have dual bios and on these i have seen that if you dont go in and change then save it will revert back to the passworded bios thinking the original was just crashed...

i use this program a few times a week at my pc store..

if you want to go one extra step make a autorun.inf file to make it autorun killcmos.com.

if you need an image of my disc msg me or if darren or anyone wants to host if i will make/send whoever a copy..

not to hard to do it took me about 5 minutes to figure this out and throw it together after googleing cmos reset a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The ThinkPads are a special case when it comes to removing / resetting the bios password.

Most Lenovo (IBM) Laptops are only secured by a hdd password which can (you guessed it) removed by replacing the hdd. you'll most likely get errors / warnings about a none genuine lenovo harddisk blablabla (that one can be fixed by an update from the lenovo support website)

As far as i know, most of the never thinkpads, especially the T series, have TPM chips (some are on a removable board). don't even try to remove the TPM board an start the machine, it won't work.

If only the Bios Master password is set, you might have a change because you can get into the bios in some sort of "user mode". That means that you can change only some options.

As a matter of fact I just got a Thinkpad which has its supervisor password stored on an ATMEL chip, most Thinkpads are now using ATMEL for storing passwords, and they require hardware to hack. You need to dump the data on them then decrypt using IBMPass.

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47

I'm going to do it later, when i get permission from the owner of the thinkpad :)

Instead of going through the fifty steps in coedshowers' post you could just reset the bios by issuing the following commands in order if you have access to the DOS prompt and/or able to boot using FreeDOS;

debug

o 70 2E

o 71 FF

quit

"In this method we are using the Debug tool of MS DOS. The "O" character present at first in these commands, outputs the values to IO ports. The number 70 and 71 are port numbers which are used to access CMOS memory. By providing FF value we are telling CMOS that there is an invalid checksum and it resets the CMOS settings as well as BIOS password."

I've had to use that trick before.

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that <removed for spamity> is the most effective.:

<removed for spamity> is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

<removed for spamity>

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully. There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

Allot of that doesn't apply to laptops, having the clear CMOS jumper isn't mandatory, often the motherboard battery is in a removable holder (I personally have not encountered one that isn't) so you don't have to replace the motherboard if the battery dies.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a BIOS password and not a boot password you can just use Hirens to remove the BIOS password..

BIOS / CMOS Tools

CMOS 0.93

CMOS Save / Restore Tool

BIOS Cracker 5.0

BIOS password remover (cmospwd)

BIOS Utility 1.35.0

BIOS Informations, password, beep codes and more.

!BIOS 3.20

a powerfull utility for bios and cmos

DISKMAN4

a powerful all in one utility

UniFlash 1.40

bios flash utility

Kill CMOS

a tiny utility to wipe cmos

Award DMI Configuration Utility 2.43

DMI Configuration utility for modifying/viewing the MIDF contents.

Myk3