THATS IT!

Sparda

The wrong assumption with that is that there's supposed to be a living creature out there that checks to see if the post made it through. Best I can tell there's normally no such individual.

This is just going to make more spam, now your going to have people just posting random shit to get them self's up to 20posts before the can start spaming a web site or what ever, a simple bot would get the user post up to the right amount that they need to start posting a website. imo the only way to stop spam if it is such a big problem is to have every post checked by a mod before showing up on the system. While it is done by a machine a human can always get around it.

The url thing is a good idea. Just make sure its spelt out on joining.

But really the spam on here looks like its done by human users. There are companies set up that get these people to post crap. They get money by the amount of links i think.

Basically u need either more mini-mods (only alloud to delete post of users that have registered for under 20days). You could use this time limiting thing for you url block idea.

The url thing is a good idea. Just make sure its spelt out on joining.

But really the spam on here looks like its done by human users. There are companies set up that get these people to post crap. They get money by the amount of links i think.

Basically u need either more mini-mods (only alloud to delete post of users that have registered for under 20days). You could use this time limiting thing for you url block idea.

Yes, I will work out how to add a big red "You cannot post URLs untill your nth post" notice when some one registers.

all of these methods, while very good, can be used against a legitimate poster. I thinks everybody should take part in moderation by you putting a "Vote Spam" button on the post. If the button is pressed a certain percentage (don't even ask what %) number of thread viewers, the user is banned. This eliminates the hope-it-doesn't-ban-you-for-a-legit-reason-sorry-if-it-does aspect of spam reduction. Tnis obviously needs some working out, but it could make our forum much better and be free from spammers

Thats one of my origional surgestions. Some one should come up with a usable and fair voting system.

impossible to come up with a fair one that judges comments. U get people downvoting comments they happen to disagree with. Not totally against voting. But i believe it should be restricted to spam only. ie 'is this spam'. It'll be abused ie, someone posts something stupid and its marked as spam; but for the most part that abuse would be obvious. Then that users spam button privillages could be taken away.

......but this forum isnt that big. Isnt it a lot of work for such a small group of people?

-pantsu

Yes it is alot of work. Thats why, at least for the time been, I surrgest we use my simple modification, it works, it should prevent all hyperlink spam. The only problem with it is that new users won't be able to post links. Can any body see a way around that problem?

Yes it is alot of work. Thats why, at least for the time been, I surrgest we use my simple modification, it works, it should prevent all hyperlink spam. The only problem with it is that new users won't be able to post links. Can any body see a way around that problem?

I still say:

users under 10 days old cant post links. Simple.

If you can work out how to make phpBB work out how old (in days) a user acount is then we can try it that way. I'v narrowed the 'blank review' page thing down to a small block of code, it's quite taxing though... may have to just make a new include page...

If you can work out how to make phpBB work out how old (in days) a user acount is then we can try it that way. I'v narrowed the 'blank review' page thing down to a small block of code, it's quite taxing though... may have to just make a new include page...

yea must be a bit of bitch....

when i release my open source project... im going to provide a 'code map'

good luck mate. If my computer at home was working i'd give u a hand...but alas

The PHP I can do... mostly... the difficult bit is that phpBB is very moduler. So I will be reading some of the phpBB code, and then it sudderly calls a user defined function, and I will have no idea where this function is stored or what it does, I can guess what it does based on the context and it's name. It's just so anoying having to go find the file where the function is stored and then read that function as if it where part of the bit that called the function.

The PHP I can do... mostly... the difficult bit is that phpBB is very moduler. So I will be reading some of the phpBB code, and then it sudderly calls a user defined function, and I will have no idea where this function is stored or what it does, I can guess what it does based on the context and it's name. It's just so anoying having to go find the file where the function is stored and then read that function as if it where part of the bit that called the function.

You need one of those http-based browsing things that allows you to click on functions and it takes you to where they are defined.

I saw it once for WordPress, and never found it again. :(

Now, as a mod, what would be useful would be a little button next to each post marked "spam?", Which would be linked to a mod screen where you could see each post marked as spam and the number of votes. That way it lets the community help the (tiny) battle, and also allows for human moderation as the final discion. To many false positives with an entiterly open system.

But then again, I think we shouldn't forget the power of the community to self regulate itself. Someone spots spam, notices it hasn't gone yet and PM's a mod. Mod wakes up, gets coffee and logs in, reads PM and kills the spam. Seems fairly fool proof to me.

Fool proof as long as the moderorator hasn't:

A. had they'er acount high jacked by script kiddies

B. taken any drugs just befor sitting down to modderate

C. forgoten who they are

D. had there pony die because it wasn't pretty enough

E. had any combination of the above happen.

Fool proof as long as the moderorator hasn't:

B. taken any drugs just befor sitting down to modderate

I do a bad job?

But seriously, you just need multiple mods, some kinda paper trail and open stats on the mods. That way the mods know there actions are recorded, and everyone can see what there doing. In the few instances where things need to be done away from the public eye, you can have an admin overide or something. Add that to a spam voting system and you have a winner.

Thats the point of a mod IMO, just a cheap way of doing what your proposing via PHP coding. As you said, things are pretty much self regulating here, and thats the way it should be. Let people do what they want, and step in everyonce in a blue moon to stop things going nasty.