What firewall do you use?

Ryan

I know a security conscious group like this will be reluctant to answer but i a reason. currently i have an old dell computer running clark connect community edition 4.3 and it works great. But the computer it's running on is big and takes up a lot of room on my desk, power is also a concern, i know that it's not burning the full 250 because i have most of the integrated stuff turned off but none the less i'm sure it's using more than a dedicated firewall will. I have been looking at some mainstream stuff like Cisco,Juniper, and SonicWall but the problem i have with them is i need a router that is uPnP aware. I have some video game consoles that need Upnp. i've bought an old cisco 1711 and no moatter i do it will not allow xbox live traffic. I been doing research online on the used stuff i found on ebay but none support uPnP out of the box. I am at the point that i am considering buying a really cheap microATX case and motherboard and a processor and run CC on a compact flash card but i am pretty sure that will prove more expensive than the ebay solution. i need the security the hardware firewall offers but since this is a home/office i still need some consumer features, soooooooooooooooooooooooooo anyone have any ideas?

Get hold of an ALIX or WRAP firewall kit, then run PFsense.

I actually used pfsense for a week but i couldnt get it to work with xbox live which is why i'm using clark connect. but i like the way your idea sounds like the best way to go. 5W its next to nothing and is def cheaper than building using computer parts

u can look into mikrotik.

that's what we are running here. As our main gateway. (to the oc48)

http://www.mikrotik.com/

should be able to do everything u need.

rb1000nocase.png

rb450g.jpg

upnp

http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2.9/ip/upnp.php

admin guide

http://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/3.0/

This stuff is cool but can get a bit pricey came up to almost $230 when i got the parts together but it is def an option i am considering

well its still cheaper then buying a Sonic Wall lol ;).

RouterBOARD 433' with Atheros 300Mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, three LAN, three MiniPCI, NAND Storage with RouterOS Level 4 (AP support)$99

802.11a/b/g High Power miniPCI card (with U.fl connector)$59

(2)2.4-5.8 GHz Swivel Antenna with cable and U.fl connector $30

$188

or if u want it in a case

niversal RB600A Indoor case (4 holes for Nfemale Bulkhead connectors or AC/SWI Swivel antennas) $20

$208

we run Mikrotik on all the hotels around town and they work great...the only problems i have with them are the ones outside exposed to the weather and shit....its always fun climbing a 20 ft ladder pulling a box down in the rain :-/

lol that's why i always use silicone around the edges of the box its in.

iv only had two fail on me in the 3 years I been using it in the outside environment. Getting to the point of replacing them with new one just cause of age.

we run Mikrotik on all the hotels around town and they work great...the only problems i have with them are the ones outside exposed to the weather and shit....its always fun climbing a 20 ft ladder pulling a box down in the rain :-/

http://www.fab-corp.com/home.php?cat=278

We've used some of these on top of 200' towers in Alaska. No problems. We also have one inside a building in the pool area.