Internet Explorer Options

bmdsherman

Hey I was wondering if anybody can give me some help with a bet I have with a friend?

Background:

I have a bet with a friend that I can break through any restrictions he sets up to try to prevent me from going to www.google.com. I start with his windows xp machine (non-admin account) some type of filter that prevents me from going to google.com

I'm all set up with "CCProxy" running on a remote machine and I can just hit "tools -> internet options -> connections -> lan settings", enter in my proxy settings and connect to the internet. Unfortuanly my friend somehow put a restrection on his computer so when ever I hit "internet options" I get an error message saying something to the effect of "this operation has been canceled due to an administrative restriction on this computer".

Anybody know how to get around this?

Also the same thing happens when I open command prompt.

Hey I was wondering if anybody can give me some help with a bet I have with a friend?

Background:

I have a bet with a friend that I can break through any restrictions he sets up to try to prevent me from going to www.google.com. I start with his windows xp machine (non-admin account) some type of filter that prevents me from going to google.com

I'm all set up with "CCProxy" running on a remote machine and I can just hit "tools -> internet options -> connections -> lan settings", enter in my proxy settings and connect to the internet. Unfortuanly my friend somehow put a restrection on his computer so when ever I hit "internet options" I get an error message saying something to the effect of "this operation has been canceled due to an administrative restriction on this computer".

Anybody know how to get around this?

Also the same thing happens when I open command prompt.

Get admin privileges. Also, lose the bet.

Do you have access to the explorer? My Computer? type in the URL and go. Open up a saved shortcut?

gpedit.msc(if you can access it) and then undo the lock down. Otherwise, regedit, know your keys, change bits, reboot. I don't suggest going the regedit route, as you can really screw things up if you don't know what the hell you are doing, and its not yoru machien anyway, so you really shouldn't mess with it in the first place. Do I think your doing this on your friends pc? not really, but if you aren't, you get yourself into trouble, its your fault. If it is your friends pc, have fun, but don't screw it up in the process.

Complete agreement it would be very easy to do this and allmost impossible to block (unless he chagned the boot bios and put a password on it) then your gonna need a screwdriver and some duck tape.

Wasn't there an ubuntu on a stick deal that runs from within windows natively?

If were talking about alternate surfing ways, install ff-tor, or opera-tor or the usb versions of either browser with some other proxies added for whatever, but the op asked how to unlock IE's lockdown controls.

Isn't that the whole thing not just the image?

Have you ever used a live disc? The ISO is both a live disc and the install cd, but you can just run off the cd without ever having to install anything. You burn the ISO to CD or DVD depending on what and how big it is. Last time I checked, uBuntu fits on a 700mb cd.

Hmmm, so your friend has some hardware to block you between his machine and the router. Wow, that sounds like a really nice setup for a home network.....

Maybe I'm just to cynical nowadays.

Okay now that I got this to work (with the firefox portable app) lets just say its business sized home network ;D

XP? Start in safe mode, change his password, lock him out.

A lot of this seems to be going beyond the spirit of the original challenge.

BTW, the comments about using portable Ubunutu, last time I heard about it it neede admin privs to work so wouldn't help in this situation.

A lot of this seems to be going beyond the spirit of the original challenge.

BTW, the comments about using portable Ubunutu, last time I heard about it it neede admin privs to work so wouldn't help in this situation.

I'm pretty sure thats not what they meant. I think they mean to get the live cd and boot of it so you DO have admin privlages on that computer.