Down to three netbooks, and cant decide, please help

DustinW

So im down to buying the msi wind u100 (allot of cool features for the price, 802.11n(mainly)), Hp Mini 1000 and the Acer Aspire one. My problem is ive done allot of research on these guys and linux on netbooks, i do not however want to run ubuntu because i want to get into gentoo or slackware, any opinions or suggestions?

Do not use Gentoo on a netbook; you have to compile everything from source with Gentoo and with a 1.6ghz Atom that's not the most fun thing to do. Anyways, it's mostly about the keyboards on netbooks imo and the HP mini feels the best for me out of those three.

Do not use Gentoo on a netbook; you have to compile everything from source with Gentoo and with a 1.6ghz Atom that's not the most fun thing to do. Anyways, it's mostly about the keyboards on netbooks imo and the HP mini feels the best for me out of those three.

Thanks, if you dont mind ill be asking more in the coming days ... please feel free to reply

I just bought a msi wind and I'm about to install gentoo. I'm not really worried about compile time so I'll let you know how it goes.

You might want to take a look at the new Dell 10v that just came out. I've tested the keyboard and it's the best I've seen on a net book. plus you get the n card your looking for, bluetooth, GMA 950 and the 1gb limit is no longer an issue as it's using the new z270 atom and will now have a seperate ram slot.

just a suggestion.

I have the HP Mini Note, and I haven't been able to install backtrack 4 on it after a few attempts. Dr0p what instruction set did you follow? Do you have drivers for the built in Wireless Nic? Can it do packet injection, or did you get a secondary usb nic for that?

I have an eeepc 901 and I love it. I got the SSD version and my main deciding factor was battery life. This thing is rated for 8 hours and that was the longest I could find at the time of my purchase. I am running ubuntu on it with the eee kernal and everything works perfectly with it.

Hmm I would completely disagree with that comment :P. Yes gentoo compiles everything from scratch and yes we only have a 1.6ghz atom processor. However people have been compiling with gentoo with 400mhz machines. If you have some patience and can dedicate 1 day to installing + compiling applications with gentoo you will have a fully optimized operating system for your netbook which is more than most other operating systems. I installed gentoo, compiled gnome and fluxbox and some basic applications quite easily within 24 hours (also i was at home so I used my desktop computer) and now i have a gentoo netbook which runs quite fast :P I configured the kernel myself but if you aren't too keen or feel confident enough in configuring your own kernel just head over to google and type in "msi wind gentoo kernel config" or "eeepc gentoo kernel config" or "<insert netbook> kernel config" and you will be greeted with many results!

That being said a lot of the binary based operating systems are not bad especially if you head over to a well known site called www.google.com ;) and type in "<your netbook> linux kernel". There are many people that have made optimized kernels for netbooks and i suggest you use them if you are thinking of using linux!

EDIT: In response to the actual question XD I would go with a Samsing NC10 or Msi Wind. I have a MSI wind and let me tell you it is built to be modded/upgraded and is absolutely fantastic with a 6 cell batter. It was a nice 10 inch screen and the keys have a nice size! I originally wanted to get a Samsung NC10...they look quite awesome and imo are the best netbooks in the market :P however I didn't feel like ordering one in and just went to the local computer store and got a MSI wind.