ISP Spy

yaanom

Senior Members of HAk5 i would like to know if its possible for an ISP to know u've clone someone's mac to browse free. If yes how should i protect my self from them seeing me.Thanks

When does one become a senior member around here? Do I have to fill a form in or have an interview?

When does one become a senior member around here? Do I have to fill a form in or have an interview?

Do you have trouble rising from a sitting position? Do you wear slippers and cardigans on a regular basis? Do you smoke a pipe or drive a classic car? If any of these conditions are true then you may be eligible for Senior membership...

*walks slowly from stage right to stage left*

...a simple call is all it takes, dial the number on your screen for a free, no risk consultation and one of our friendly moderators will be happy to assist you with any query you may have. A few simple questions are all that stand between you and a Senior membership pack including not only a Senior Failbus pass but a set of extra large fonts and some monogrammed slippers...

Do you have trouble rising from a sitting position? Do you wear slippers and cardigans on a regular basis? Do you smoke a pipe or drive a classic car? If any of these conditions are true then you may be eligible for Senior membership...

*walks slowly from stage right to stage left*

...a simple call is all it takes, dial the number on your screen for a free, no risk consultation and one of our friendly moderators will be happy to assist you with any query you may have. A few simple questions are all that stand between you and a Senior membership pack including not only a Senior Failbus pass but a set of extra large fonts and some monogrammed slippers...

Is my home at risk if I don't keep up my posts? Will it affect my inheritance?

For those in the UK who listen to Wogan, would Senior Hak5 members be HOGs?

Back on topic, I know for a fact that its very hard for the ISP to track down a cracked cable modem to anything more than a street or similar area in the UK. The can lock it over the network, but again they have to been actively looking for it in order to do this, and if the kill command is sent out and the modem is not on line at the time, it won't be locked out of the network next time you connect it.

If the two devices are on the same segment, chances are only one of the devices will get an address from DHCP. If the customer calls to complain they can't get an IP address or DHCP lease, they might see it already online and just tell him, "You are already online". In which most cases, its just customer service and they 9 times out of 10 are not tech savy nor have to ability to do much else to fix your problem. If the ISP was doing an audit of their network though, and the security guy was on top of things, he might notice the problem, but I doubt it will raise any alerts unless they have IDS software to check for duplicate MAC addresses trying to obtain a lease from the network. I just wouldn't advertise what you are doing, as its illegal, and just not a very smart thing to do if they can track it back to you. One thing you should know is most ISP's can send updates to Modems diectly from the ISP. If when you connect it and the device looks for Firmware to upgrade and they try to flash your modem remotely, you could brick the device if they send the wrong firmware based on the MAC identifying the Manufacturer. Not sure how that would play out, but I see it as a possibility. Comcast did something similar, only they update dmy Modem with OLDER firmware than what it came with. I own my modem, so they shouldn't have done anything, but part of its logon proces sis to look for updates. Apparently my modem hit a gateway that had older firmware on one of the machines it got its lease from. Once I got a new IP address from a different segment, it reverted back to the correct firmware.

Senior members of hak5 cannot cure illnesses. Be sure to have a prescription of pimozide, thioridazine, or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor, since Hak5 senior members have been suspected assholes.

You may have thoughts about suicide when you first start talking to a member, especially if you are younger than 18 years old. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits for at least the first 12 weeks of posting.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself. SSRI antidepressants may cause serious or life-threatening lung problems in newborn babies whose mothers take the medication during pregnancy.

Also:

Back on topic, I know for a fact that its very hard for the ISP to track down a cracked cable modem to anything more than a street or similar area in the UK. The can lock it over the network, but again they have to been actively looking for it in order to do this, and if the kill command is sent out and the modem is not on line at the time, it won't be locked out of the network next time you connect it.

I was under the impression that the last modem on the network would get the internet, and that the one on first would be be booted off.

I was under the impression that the last modem on the network would get the internet, and that the one on first would be be booted off.
I think they both might get an address so long as they don't hit th esame DHCP server and Gateway. But if the router or gateway has one MAC address in its table with an IP address, until the lease expires it won't be able to get a new address. If your own Modem got knocked off the network and then asked for a new IP address, and the lease has not expired, the DHCP server will assign you the same IP address. If that address is already in use(via cloned device) I don't think it will let you get the same IP address. If you happen to hit a different DHCP server on another segment with another pool of addresses, it would probably then let you on though.

Most ISP's have multiple DHCP servers and multiple address pools to work with, so I think a conflict would depend on if the two devices reach the same Default Gateway, and same DHCP server with one IP still assigned a lease to one of the same MAC addresses. In that scenario I believe the second device should not be able to connect since a lease for its MAC address being assigned an IP is already in use. It would try to assign it the same IP more than once, and that would cause it to fail. If the lease for the first device expires, then the second device shoudl be able to get on with a new address from the available pool. This is all assuming the ISP does not have static addresses set up for its clients.