Corrupt Me!

thedude

Hey Hak5 community! I been a member for awhile now and I finaly got Ubuntu on my labtop lol. Took me two hours to get it on there. I kept forgeting where I was downloading the iso and what the name was called LOL. Anyways..I want to know what you put on Ubuntu. I am a pure MS OS user. Always lover Windows, always hated anything else. Now I want to join the dark side. (evil laugh)

EDIT:

Ok when I meant going to the "dark side" I did not mean any thing evil behind that. I use that term as a way of saying I want to seperate myself from MS enviroment to somthing else. I do not want anything to think I am evil in any way. I will be more careful next time using that or any other term.

Ubuntu comes with ALOT of software already !! I first throw on the essentials Nvidia drivers and flash, newest Firefox release, GUFW (firewall)... then Nmap, traceroute, VLC, Quake 3, Doom, Snes9x,Miro whatever else i'm playin with at that particular moment.

If you like the gui just open up Synaptic and search for any software you think you might like/need

Number one tip: Don't get frustrated when you have to do things a little differently than Windoze, once you get the hang of it Linux just "becomes" more natural (my opinion of course)

Welcome to the DarkSide !!!

Have fun

a few of my fav's

sudo apt-get conky /this is a kewl customizable cpu and everything else meter

DONT DOWNLOAD THE NVIDIA DRIVERS FROM THE REPOS!!! they are full of fail. (if you have an nvidia card)

if you do have an nvidia card do this:

Goto: nvidia.com, download the linux driver (w/ the .deb extension)

open a terminal

1. type sudo killall gdm (this kills gnome and X11)

2. goto the directory you saved: cd /home/(whatever your screenname is)/Desktop

3. type chmod + x (name of the .deb you just downloaded)

4. type sudo sh (name of the file)

this starts the install and just follow the prompts.

sudo apt-get sauerbraten (AWESOME ASS FPS!)

and aside from the video drivers, everything else is available through synaptic. just browse through. there are 1000000's of programs you can download for free.

...oh yeah. dont be afraid of the command line.

**here is what you NEED to know about the linux shell, and you can figure the rest out later.***

*upper and lowercase COUNTS in linux. ie. ABC.txt and abc.txt can be two different files in linux.*

Pressing tab will fill in the name of a file for you, which comes in handy for the long ass ones.

ex. for This_is_a+really_fuggin_dumbass.long.file-name.x86.deb

you can type: This_<tab> and it will automatically fill in the rest of the name for you.

cd (just like it is with windows n dos)

ls (same as cd, but some distros will use this instead.. especially hardcore linux distros)

/ in linux directory wise is the same as \ in windows...

so instead of c:\users\Person\Desktop

it would be /home/Person/Desktop

chmod <-you will see this little booger alot. this is the program that can change attributes in a file (like attrib in windows/dos) ANYTIME you try to install/run a program and it acts like it doesnt want to open, chances are it's just not set as an executable file, SO the first thing you should do is go to a shell prompt, go to the directory that file is in, and type chmod +x (name of file) (x = make executable)

man.. no really, i mean man. it stands for manual, and if you want to know ANYTHING about a command and what it can do (and a whole hell of alot you dont want to know about what it can do) type this before a command.

Ex. man apt-get

To install something from Shell:

usually the faster way of installing something is this way. it just happens.... anyways here's how you install anything from the ubuntu repositories from shell.

1.open shell

2. type: sudo apt-get install (name of program)

-sudo means you want to run whatever it is after it says sudo as root *like administrator in windows*

-apt-get is the install program for any distro that is based on debian. it will go out to the web, download the program and install it for you. simple as that.

-install... self explanitory.

also if you want to uninstall:

sudo apt-get remove (name of program)

***A NOTE ABOUT COMPILING FROM SOURCE***

if your going to compile ANYTHING from source, first you need the essentials...

in a prompt type: sudo apt-get install build-essential

this downloads the basic files needed to compile something from source. from there you may need more dependencies (kind of the same thing as dll files.... but not..) this can get confusing, so just search around.

ANYTIME you want to compile from source.

the proper way of doing it is this...

1.enter into the directory you extracted the source code..

2. type ./configure

3. type make

4. type make install

This whole heartedly should be handed out to anyone who is new to linux who does'nt want to pull their hair out 10 times, reload and go back to Micro$oft...

anything else to add at the moment?

Hex that is a really neat write up for getting linux user's started.

I wish I had this little write up a year ago when I first started using linux, I swear it was doing my head in for the first few months (thank fuck for google).

Seriously well done with this write up, come to think of it something like this should be wikki'd on hak5 (not sure if it isn't already).

thank you shonen.

shit... wish i had this damn thing about 7 years ago...

yah.. took me 7 years of searching getting pissed and reloading to get this far :P

at least my suffering is appreciated :D

... oh shit.. wait a minute (calculates dates in head)...

nope. more like 10 years (my first distro was mandrake 6, I BOUGHT it back in 98')

*bows to all

My weekend is just going to be so much fun now. Thanks guys (and gals). I really picked the right time to get Ubuntu LOL. I am so ready to throw windows out the uhhh window (lol get it? do ya? ahh forget you if you dont). Do you know of any lab sites like tutorials, project ideas I can learn from to enhance my Linux experiance? I am currently look at Ubuntu forms seeing what other people are doing with this clunker LOL.

Shoo.. I dont have a 'linux learning box' myself.

Tripple booting:

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Linux Mint

and on a 2nd hdd, trying hackintosh. (yet to get it to work)

**Quick add***

Also for further down the road, when you want to branch out and check out other linux distros, you will want to know that there are only a hand full of REAL differences bewteen distrobutions..

IE: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. are all really just Debian core distros with extra stuff made to order, so to speak.

these are the core distros:

Debian

Slackware

BSD

Fedora Core

Solaris (this is a new option, since, until recently has been closed source, and pay for only os from Sun Microsystems)

.. i dont think knoppix is a core is it? I thought it was either based on debian, or just a buzzword for a live bootable linux cd.(i mean i know knoppix is a distro. just didnt think it was a CORE distro.)

Did I miss any?

but anyways, these distros all usually have their strengths and weaknesses.

Debian is USUALLY a really easy and fun to use distro that works out of the box, but at the same time, usually does not provide the performance of a linux distro that hardcore linux users want (works fine for me though)

Slackware... I have never used it. Anybody know much about it?

BSD has ALWAYS been known (and respected for) being a very efficient and flexible unix-like distro (i still say it's linux.. dont tell anyone) that you HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND to be able to use. IE, it aint all simple point and click to get everything done. This is getting better though through the PCBSD project, but I have yet to install it.

Fedora Core.. I think I have used it? (cant remember) not too bad, not too great. It has it's purpose.

Solaris. Truthfully, if your not either going to setup a server *and by that i mean a REALLY bigtime server* or get your Sun Certification, you should probably steer clear of it. I mean dont get me wrong, it isnt a bad distro, and it seems to work fairly well for alot of things, but it's fairly new(on the x86 archetecture), not fully supported with alot of hardware, and it is a quite different linux (btw, this is UNIX, not linux) but that is really up to you. I know I wouldnt mind learning it *if I had time)

Aircrack-ng, Conky, LMMS, Rosegarden, Compiz!, Darned near any emulator on the planet!, apt-get, Sauerbraten, DOOM 3, Quake 4, tons of doom 1 and 2 variations, Awn Manager (w00t!)

NOT COOL!

Flash 10, Nvidia Support, Source code that names dependencies NOT by package (grr!), Virtualbox built by source code, last.fm applet in awn manager....

Slackware:

I tell people Slackware *IS* Linux. I really learned Linux using Slack, before that I had used various distros (usually RPM based,...Suse, RedHat) I wanted to learn the core of Linux and how it worked, so ... I picked up the book "How LInux Works"

Installed a copy of Salckware and went to town :) But in the end even though I know how everything goes together I've settled on Xubuntu(speed and ease of use) and now that I have the fundamentals down from using Slack if something breaks I can usually fix it, even if X (desktop) doesn't start... which by the way is VERY rare with the newer distros.

Slackware:

I tell people Slackware *IS* Linux. I really learned Linux using Slack, before that I had used various distros (usually RPM based,...Suse, RedHat) I wanted to learn the core of Linux and how it worked, so ... I picked up the book "How LInux Works"

Installed a copy of Salckware and went to town :) But in the end even though I know how everything goes together I've settled on Xubuntu(speed and ease of use) and now that I have the fundamentals down from using Slack if something breaks I can usually fix it, even if X (desktop) doesn't start... which by the way is VERY rare with the newer distros.

this is very true, especially with the new distros. The only issue I have had yet with anything X related in the last 2 years was my laptop nvidia card (8200m g) was not recognized at all in X, so to even start the live cd, I would have to wget the drivers or copy them from another computer with a working internet connection, and install the drivers, and then start the X part of the live cd (gdm on ubuntu)

The only issue I have ever come across with the gui was in class running redhat in a virtual environment after a clean install. a fair few people were presented with the console screen on boot up. I swear it was funny watching people panic like their head was cut off (ZOMG NO GUI'z). In the end it was an easy fix startx did the trick. Funny thing was my install booted up with no issue's what so ever. I suspect some people didn't install the gnome or kde desktop on the install.

Wow! My weekend made me feel dirty. I used Linux all weekend and I gota say I aprciate windows a whole lote more LMAO. I am enjoying the heck out of using commands. My only regret is that I am a slow learner lol. You guys (and gals) know any projects for a Linux project?

lol WOW if thats your idea of a dirty weekend you are either A: Married or B: needing to go to the mens gallary more. =P

Yeah the command line is not fun if you have a really SHIT memory such as myself. I found it help full to write up a cheat sheet so you can quickly refernce commands until you have used them a few times and the shit sticks.

I just took in the bt3 about 8 hourse ago on a vmware and just having a joygasm lol. oh man i already got a cheat sheet going on for myself lol. im a noob kid in a candy store.

yah, bash scripting. think of it like a batch file in dos but WAY more flexible and usable.

BTW. Bash -> the cli (or the terminal)

here's a link you'll find very useful!

Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO

(btw, I just rooted through it a lil' just now. I dont know bash scripting AT ALL, but reading this makes sense to me.)

aaahhh i got snaged by po-po!! PSYCH! lol no what I ended up doing was just farting around with this son ofa gun all week. I LOVE COMMAND CODES!! check this one out I just made for fun

> user get me

> found user eating in kitchen

> punch me

> answer door bell

?

*ding dong

*open door

*punched in the face

lol I kid but what if man?