Wow, synergy is awesome.

WinstonSmith

Nothing stopping you from tunneling it over ssh, which realistically you should be doing anyway with the quality of security in most applications like this, like remote desktop.

Although I assume that it doesn't send keys and mouse movements over the network if they are on the machine they are plugged into, so you could just make sure you do anything sensitive on that machine, although this relies on the user remember this.

Perhaps one day I'll have my Linux, Windows, Mac setup running all at the same time, 3 Mac mini's would be awesome for that.

Perhaps one day I'll have my Linux, Windows, Mac setup running all at the same time, 3 Mac mini's would be awesome for that.

This is exactly what I am doing. I have a 6 monitor array and 2 monitors dedicated to each system. I use synergy to do the controlling. I really don't think the lack of security is a big deal if you are the only one using your local network. But just to be extra safe I went ahead and utilized the 2nd lan interfaces in my motherboards by plugging all 3 machines into their own switch which is offline from the rest of the network. I then setup static IP's for those interfaces that are on a separate subnet and used those addresses for synergy.

I posted a picture of the setup in this other thread:

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?s=&sh...st&p=124988

This is exactly what I am doing. I have a 6 monitor array and 2 monitors dedicated to each system. I use synergy to do the controlling. I really don't think the lack of security is a big deal if you are the only one using your local network. But just to be extra safe I went ahead and utilized the 2nd lan interfaces in my motherboards by plugging all 3 machines into their own switch which is offline from the rest of the network. I then setup static IP's for those interfaces that are on a separate subnet and used those addresses for synergy.

I posted a picture of the setup in this other thread:

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?s=&sh...st&p=124988

Yeah, but I wouldn't go for a hackintosh, not for developing code for the OS X platfrom.

Also I recognize the background on the screen in the top right, used to have it myself, looks create in hi-res.

Indeed.

Synergy is a great tool.

They covered this in season 1 or 2 I think. I think it was Darren that did a segment on it. I tried it back then, but have no need for it now since I have dual monitors on the GPU.

I either SSH or rdp into my boxes as they run as headless units. I have dual monitor so i just use my 22"when I am in another machine. Plus my servers are set up with multiple desktops (Check out sysinternals for server 03 if you aren't aware).

Synergy is a great app but I game on my main rig so don't need to swap inbetween machine for that purpose.

Yeah, but I wouldn't go for a hackintosh, not for developing code for the OS X platfrom.

Also I recognize the background on the screen in the top right, used to have it myself, looks create in hi-res.

Originally I had a core2 Mini and I triple headed the linux box however the mini was so slow compared to the other boxes that I found myself rarely using it for anything. Also I wanted to dual head the mac and make it an even 2x2x2 for each computer. So I was looking at the mac pro's but the price was really hard to swallow.

I have seen the latest generation quad core xeon mac pro's score just under 200 on xbench, and my hackintosh which is around $900 worth of hardware (including 200 for efix) scores a 211, My core2 mini score is 83.

Ever since I built this thing it has been my go-to machine for most tasks. I really like the OS and I have not had any stability issues.