iPhone Modem

markhimself

This is really one of them another amazing hacks from the Dev team.

You install a program on your pc/laptop called iPhoneModem and it makes a AdHoc wireless network between your computer and iPhone. Your iPhone picks up the wireless, and sends its glorius 3G over the wireless. Simples. nothing else to do - just instant 3g glory.

Its rather fast too. 150kbps download speeds on average!

ill do a speed test soon.

best of all. its free - no need to buy a £30 a month usb adapter. i spose it isnt free cos im on contract, but hey im paying for the phone, internets just a freebee. i get unlimited off it too where ever i am!

The iPhone does get rather hot, and even with it on charge, it looses battery life in about 2 hours.

better than nothing!

ah reminds me of when i was tunneling through o2's proxy with my old erricson t610 via bluetooth

it was only gprs and was hella slow but it was totaly free

till i was stupid enough to release the details to a "friend" who decided to leak it and it got abused and the hole plugged

this is something us windows mobile users have been able to do for a long time. with my htc touch hd and htc touch diamond (both unlocked models) i can share whichever internet connection i have either wifi or hsdpa/hsupa, to any connection interface my phone has, usb, bluetooth, wifi, etc. its nice that you can do these things with the iphone but its just a shame that apple has them so locked down. but hey thats apple, the biggest little would-be monopoly there is.

YOU HAVE SAVED MY LIFE!!!

Ive been frantically trying to get a program to let me use my iphones internet on my computer as im going to the edinburgh science and technology festival and I want to do some on-site blogging. :D

By doing this you are currently breaking the T&C that you agreed to when buying the phone and your leaving yourself liable for the expensive. Basically if O2 find out they can bill you for whatever you like.

It looks like tethering will be coming with 3.0 software, but it will cost you to use that feature. I don't agree with that, but hey, we all chose capitalism.

Both phone companies have the capabilities to do deep packet inspection across all data connections so if they see it becoming a problem or you start going over 5GB or whatever the set number is, they can and will go after you for the money.

This is really one of them another amazing hacks from the Dev team.

You install a program on your pc/laptop called iPhoneModem and it makes a AdHoc wireless network between your computer and iPhone. Your iPhone picks up the wireless, and sends its glorius 3G over the wireless. Simples. nothing else to do - just instant 3g glory.

Its rather fast too. 150kbps download speeds on average!

ill do a speed test soon.

best of all. its free - no need to buy a £30 a month usb adapter. i spose it isnt free cos im on contract, but hey im paying for the phone, internets just a freebee. i get unlimited off it too where ever i am!

The iPhone does get rather hot, and even with it on charge, it looses battery life in about 2 hours.

better than nothing!

Is there a link to this app? All I can find is http://www.iphonemodem.com/ which is not free, and also does need an app installing on the iphone, from you post I got the impression this as a PC app, and free at that, that would work with a non jailbroken iphone?

In the US ATT's unlimited 3G data really means 5gb, anything after that is crazy expensive.

i've had the unlimited mediamax 200 package from cingular/att 19.99usd for a few years now, and i've used it with many different phones, and i've tethered all of them to my computers either via bluetooth, usb, or wifi. at one point it was my sole internet connection for more than a year and i've never been charged extra, gotten a warning, or had any problems so far with cingular/att. i never tell them what type of phone i have or that i'll be tethering my connection, and i've never been charged more than 19.99 for data.

dont see how they could have billed an unregistered pay and go sim

By deducting any money that you top up immediately. They may not get all the money that they want, but you won't be able to make phone calls or sends texts on the phone.

Some cell providers aren't as sharp as you might think. I used to work for a large one and when we discussed our customers using bluetooth tethering with Motorola Razrs with some company engineers to get an official answer on if we could detect this activity or not, they told us that the company did not currently have a method for detecting that use of the phone's data functions as any different than non-tethered use. They thought it was too complex/costly to implement. This company was not a model of efficiency or engineering prowess by any means, but I suspect most cellular providers are similar in their priorities ($ale$ $ucka$).

Some cell providers aren't as sharp as you might think. I used to work for a large one and when we discussed our customers using bluetooth tethering with Motorola Razrs with some company engineers to get an official answer on if we could detect this activity or not, they told us that the company did not currently have a method for detecting that use of the phone's data functions as any different than non-tethered use. They thought it was too complex/costly to implement. This company was not a model of efficiency or engineering prowess by any means, but I suspect most cellular providers are similar in their priorities ($ale$ $ucka$).

Revenue protection is as big a part of revenue making, more so now with the current economic climate.

Given the simplicity of detecting the majority of traffic from a tethered device would be a simple as a couple of filters with Wireshark and to stop it a few firewall rules, any self respecting cell provider than can't do it shouldn't be in business. My experience with the UK mobile phone providers is that they are know their stuff and they know it well.

Given that the majority of networks can't actually provide the quality or quantity of the service that most providers claim to offer you is the major reason for not allowing to teether your device or use large quantities of bandwidth, its safer to try and limit people rather than loose custom or worse be sued for not providing the service offered.

But to be fair on the providers, I know that if you let people teether your device you would have people torrenting all their warez from the phone and ruining the service for other people. So I'm actually quite happy for mobile providers to prevent and punish people from breaching their ToS.

Revenue protection is as big a part of revenue making, more so now with the current economic climate.

Given the simplicity of detecting the majority of traffic from a tethered device would be a simple as a couple of filters with Wireshark and to stop it a few firewall rules, any self respecting cell provider than can't do it shouldn't be in business. My experience with the UK mobile phone providers is that they are know their stuff and they know it well.

Given that the majority of networks can't actually provide the quality or quantity of the service that most providers claim to offer you is the major reason for not allowing to teether your device or use large quantities of bandwidth, its safer to try and limit people rather than loose custom or worse be sued for not providing the service offered.

But to be fair on the providers, I know that if you let people teether your device you would have people torrenting all their warez from the phone and ruining the service for other people. So I'm actually quite happy for mobile providers to prevent and punish people from breaching their ToS.

Yeah, the company I worked for was pretty sloppy, but that's how they ran their business for a long time. They grew to have one of the largest cellular networks in the country until they were purchased by Verizon within the last few years. I bet the Verizon engineers have had lots of fun since the acquisition fixing stuff like that.

Thanks at the posters in this thread. I didn't realize there was a way to play with the iPhone. That could be fun!

By deducting any money that you top up immediately. They may not get all the money that they want, but you won't be able to make phone calls or sends texts on the phone.

hence the use of a non registered pay and go sim that was only used for gprs the sim was even free from o2

hence the use of a non registered pay and go sim that was only used for gprs the sim was even free from o2

You have to register your sim for the iPhone to receive the free internet from O2 on the pay as you go scheme (normally done when buying), if you go into to much negative credit then O2 don't do anything on the network until your back in the black, only emergency calls for you.

that may be the case now but for over 3 years you could connect to o2's gprs network with no credit but you couldnt pass data unless you went via the proxy

and as for the fact of having to register a sim before you can use it well sorry but your wrong

you can buy an o2 sim put it in your phone and use it right away without ever registering it with o2 customer services

especialy back then when you got free sims with £1 free credit on them

that may be the case now but for over 3 years you could connect to o2's gprs network with no credit but you couldnt pass data unless you went via the proxy

and as for the fact of having to register a sim before you can use it well sorry but your wrong

you can buy an o2 sim put it in your phone and use it right away without ever registering it with o2 customer services

especialy back then when you got free sims with £1 free credit on them

You have to register the sim for the iPhone to receive the year's free internet and wifi usage you get when buying the iPhone on Pay as you go. Not much use without that, might as well have bought a iPod touch.