ok should i do this...?

DrCheeseit

After all these troubles with reinstalling XP and stuff...

ive realised that im doing this entirely for games... and a few compatibility issues ive had with a couple of other programs... no big deal...

and honestly yah games are fun and ive made a lot of friends... but other then that all they do is take me downhill...

grades have been affected... and time i know i could spend doing something much more enriching is being used for "pwn1ng n00bs ftw!!!1!1!" and screaming in chat because everyone but me is a complete idiot... (i swear its true >.<) lol

anyway... so what i was thinking was saying fuck windows (for now) and sticking with linux but id like to run more from the command line than having a great GUI

what distro of linux should i go for?

any books i should look into?

also what websites should i look to for a wealth of info?

id really like to learn as much from this as possible

Let me ask you something, in all seriousness.

How do you decide what flavour ice-cream you like or what your favourite chocolate bar is?

My guess is, you pick a flavour and try it huh?

Same with Linux.

One of the best things about Linux is choice....like ice cream, there's many flavours to be had, new taste sensations to be experienced.

So my advice?

Pick a linux flavour....try it....think for yourself...if it doesn't work out...get rid of it and try another.

Or here's a suggestion...try reading the millions of similar threads that litter the net that cover the subject.

They're all pretty much the same at the end of the day, they all do the same stuff, but some have minor differences in things like package management or impliment things like SELinux. Stick with the big names rather than the geek toy distros like Arch or Mint.

basically if youre having trouble installing xp, man i dont know what to tell you. just give up on computers all together. if you cant even figure xp out then linux isnt going to help you.

As Mnemonic said, you just have to try them and pick which one fits you best. Take a look at DistroWatch.com. They even have a "Major Distributions" section. And it'll probably be pretty frustrating and cumbersome to begin with, especially if your knew(ish) to Linux and/or CLI, but you'll learn a lot (mainly from mistakes!) and it'll be an over all good experience for you. If you know what you're doing with VMs and you don't have time/resources to format, partition, install, fuck up, reinstall, and mess with it, then you might want to just try them all in a VM, although installing will help you learn more. Hope that helped ;)

basically if youre having trouble installing xp, man i dont know what to tell you. just give up on computers all together. if you cant even figure xp out then linux isnt going to help you.

your loads of help...

anyways... i have a tiny bit of experience with linux. ive been using ubuntu for about a month now... and whenever ive come to find a problem ive been able to fix it every time.... the guides i find online are my saviours

and as much of a hassle all of this has been i never did get tired of it... its loads of fun :D

i know how to use the terminal... i know how to get the info if im lost... but XP for me is just for games... and linux is going to be better for me in the long run i think

im looking into openBSD and fedora and finding out what i can about them both...