Defacing a Website, or doing a DNS attack

Ti22

Hey guys,

I never had a motive to hack anyone or anything until now. I am Thai and my country is considered to be a "free" country, we have the right to vote.

However lately the government have been abusing our rights. They've been cencoring websites, like some bittorrent site, and even sites like www.eff.org got blocked.

The thing is I believe whether a site contains legal or illegal things we the people should be able to decided what we access in our homes not the government.

Each day a list of sites that we can't access grows and I have a feeling that I have to do something about it. Me and a friend are planning to attack/deface some government sites that are directly responsible for this. We're planning the attack from a public wifi space (for obvious reasons)

the attack will probably happen around august/september,

the problem is first we have to learn how to deface a website (we want to put our own message there so we can be heard).

We have tried talking to government bodies however they've neglected our voices in every kind of way. When we call the ISPs they say "its the law, our hands are tied"

The truth is its not the law. the governemtn shouldn't decide whats right or wrong on the internet its a neutral space, the people should decide whats right or wrong.

If you guys want to help me on this, all I ask is point me in the right direction.

Can't help you in that regard, but what you CAN do is check out the various proxy sites that people have posted to evade school filters. It won't lift the blockade, but it allows you to walk around it.

Can't help you in that regard, but what you CAN do is check out the various proxy sites that people have posted to evade school filters. It won't lift the blockade, but it allows you to walk around it.

I am not trying to go around anything, I want to be heard, I just dont' like my rights violated. When your in school the school has control over what you see, thats fair, but this is in my home i am talking about they have no right to tell me what I can or can't do in my house.

Unfortunately most proxy sites are blocked, as well as anonymity sites. Some work for a while, then get blocked. Essentially it's rather inconsistent. Software proxies seem to work though, such as 'Steganos Internet Anonym' - but unfortunatley will slow your speed down a noticeble degree.

http://www.proxyweb.net/

Is one of the few that is occasionally blocked.

I am not trying to go around anything, I want to be heard, I just dont' like my rights violated.

Defacing a website will not get your message across. Unless your message is "The government is unable to secure its IT". (and you want them to get a bigger budget to fix that)

When your in school the school has control over what you see, thats fair, but this is in my home i am talking about they have no right to tell me what I can or can't do in my house.

To a certain extent they most certainly do (think murdering someone in your house). But I'm nitpicking. I see what you mean.

The way I see it there's a couple things you can do:

- Write a column for a news paper. Some of them have a section for letters from their readers. Get some people who don't really care to read what you wrote. Sometimes those texts can get really evangelical, or technical to the point where the average joe doesn't understand. Keep it simple. Short. Direct. To the point. Easy to understand (and remember) what's happening and why it's bad.

- Find a group of likeminded people, and picket peacefully somewhere. Call some news agencies and other press people to make sure you get some coverage. Assign a spokeperson of the group who will deal with the press. Make sure that individual is able to get the point across using easy to understand language, and has a good understanding of the issue at hand so that when harder questions get asked a sensible answer will be produced. Also, this individual must under NO circumstances lose his composure or temper. And the rest of the people picketing should leave him to do his thing rather than trying to get their face on TV.

- Go into politics. Find a party whose ideals you like and join them, or create your own. Enhance your communication skills and try to get some meetings with people in authority at the places you have issue with. Find out the reason for the blocks, as I can assure you they aren't doing (just) to piss you off. Remember to be polite. Be friendly. They're not the enemy. They're doing what they're being told by people who can make life very difficult for them. Understand the problem they're trying to solve with the blocks, and be sure to approach it from all angles. Use your knowledge to write an even better article for the newspapers. Make sure the article attacks the policy and not the person.

Best of luck!

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm not really up for cyber terrorism at the moment.

the attack will probably happen around august/september,

the problem is first we have to learn how to deface a website (we want to put our own message there so we can be heard).

Firstly you better get learning, and secondly, as soon as if you manage to alter the websites, and someone finds out they will all be taken down.

I would suggest like everybody else, if you have a problem and need to view websites that have been blocked then find a method of getting round it, there are plenty of methods out there and I am sure one will work. And start talking to your government, do the right thing and don't cause problems for other people.

On another note, I seriously hope that you used some sort of Proxy to post this Hak5 might be getting e-mails from the Thai government soon asking for some IPs.

One mans terroirst is another mans freedom fighter after all...

I can't offer anything in the way of actual support, but I can advise you to check out http://tor.depthstrike.com/. TOR is an way of masking your net identity in the planning stages.

One thing you have to remember, is that if you attack a goverment, there is a good chance you will be jailed, beaten or killed in todays political climate. Terrorism is a buzz world that allows you to do things you wouldn't do otherwise. And given the fact that your talking about it openly, I would brush up on your securacy. Drug dealing is a good model to follow, as its highly illegal yet millions are made globally yearly. Don't trust people explictly, because one the gov. does get an idea something is happening, you will get attention.

If you can, get a pattsy, someone to take the fall, if your sucsessful the gov will look stupid, and be forced into pursing it, if they can find someone quickly, then you have more chance getting away with it.

One last thing, if you can, find ex-pats, or forigeners to do the actual dirty work, that is also a hurdle for the police to bring charges.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could alter a packets destination after it goes through a certain router... in my dreams (well that's as far as my meager knowledge goes)

Nearly all routers I work with do this, its not that hard, perhaps common household ones won't but then I don't use them.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't fight the government that way. Someone could go and stab Bush, but then Bush would just be replaced and more security would be put out. By the way, no country is really free... did you see what was happening in New York right after 9/11. Your only as free as your government desides.

Ah, so the way that a country isn't free is if it deploys armed police after a terrorist attack, ready to ut their lives on the line to respond to subsequent attacks? (I don't condone shooting innocent Brazilians though).

Your only as free as your government desides.

I was about to agree with you all the way but your wrong on this last part it should read:

No one is free, we are all slaves to our own desires LMAO

Life is pritty much all down to what you want :)

Ah, so the way that a country isn't free is if it deploys armed police after a terrorist attack, ready to ut their lives on the line to respond to subsequent attacks? (I don't condone shooting innocent Brazilians though).

Not sure about that the thing is some people say those policemen/women were ordered to arrest the Brazillian before he reached the Tube station (and he was in eyeshot) AKA before he could reach a target full of civilians hell they didn't even try to arrest him on their own they shouted to the Spec forces guys he was there and then as they were comming in they jumped the guy at wich point the spec forces guys kindly relieved the Brazilian of his brains with their first shot.

And wait a min what is Terrorism supposed to do oh yeah produce terror if we just went on our way like whatever then it's not terrorism but does that then make us callous unfeeling people? Can you win that argument? I don't think I can

Not sure about that the thing is some people say those policemen/women were ordered to arrest the Brazillian before he reached the Tube station (and he was in eyeshot) AKA before he could reach a target full of civilians hell they didn't even try to arrest him on their own they shouted to the Spec forces guys he was there and then as they were comming in they jumped the guy at wich point the spec forces guys kindly relieved the Brazilian of his brains with their first shot.

Not sure what you are saying there, it was a botched operation and that sucks. I often wonder about the "shoot to kill" thing, what happens if you kill a terrorist wired with explosives and he is holding a dead man's switch?

And wait a min what is Terrorism supposed to do oh yeah produce terror if we just went on our way like whatever then it's not terrorism but does that then make us callous unfeeling people? Can you win that argument? I don't think I can

Are you replying to something I said, or just making a point here? Not sure what I could have said that this could be a response to. I'll address 1 point here though (actually after typing all this it seems more like a rant or something).

I did sort of just go on my way "like whatever" after the London bombings. I don't live anywhere near London and no one I know was affected, I just felt and still feel very disconnected from it. I felt sympathy towards the people affected, but I never had any feelings of terror or worry because nothing I could or can do will affect the risk of terrorism to me and others. I didn't even really feel sad.

I don't mean to sound like a callous unfeeling person, I would say I cared more about the casualties in Iraq because I think the government which we elected has a more direct responsibilty for those. The government wasn't responsible for the deaths in London (or is much less directly responsible anyway).

I don't think the government can ever stop terrorism by stopping terrorists, they just start stepping up security in places where terrorists have already struck which will never work, terrorists will just target somewhere else. Terrorism is a deep rooted problem which doesn't have any simple answers when it's based in religious or cultural beliefs.

Sorry if this is a bit hard to read, I just sort of wrote things down as they occured to me and I have gone back and edited and rephrased some of the stuff quite a lot so it might be a bit disjointed and seemingly unrelated (it's certainly unrelated to the point I was originally trying to address). Woo, super off-topic!

I'm guessing it was the use of police armed with m4a1 assualt rifles on the streets... the UK police may suck, but at least we only shoot people with 9mm.

That was mainly a point about types of guns in use. The m4a1 uses 5.56 x 45 mm NATO rounds, which are not suitable for a built up area with civillians running around. The rounds go threw thin walls, and light cover so you have to be very careful where you aim. And when used against soft targets (your typical unarmoured suicide bomber) they just punch threw the target, instead of delivering the engery to the target. 9mm JHP's better for an crowded urban enviroment where you have civillians potentially in the way.

Not sure what you are saying there, it was a botched operation and that sucks. I often wonder about the "shoot to kill" thing, what happens if you kill a terrorist wired with explosives and he is holding a dead man's switch?

Maybe why they headcapped the guy? but still your nerves can twich right?

We may never know *shrug*

Are you replying to something I said, or just making a point here? Not sure what I could have said that this could be a response to. I'll address 1 point here though (actually after typing all this it seems more like a rant or something).

You just made me think in a different direction about it and I figure I cannot really win which ever way I look at it so I was wondering how other people felt.

From what you said sounds like even you acknowledge you cannot really win

Maybe we should just say hell with it - it's a means to an end :D :( helps us get by.

I don't think the government can ever stop terrorism by stopping terrorists, they just start stepping up security in places where terrorists have already struck which will never work, terrorists will just target somewhere else.

Which creates both a feeling of saftey and terror (or dread)

Terrorism is a deep rooted problem which doesn't have any simple answers when it's based in religious or cultural beliefs.

Really I think it just money that drives terrorism atthe end of the day, all about the benjamens :(

And nope not hard to read and good to hear your POV :)

They were doing more then just holding automatic weapons. They would fence in protesters then bring them to a building that was not fit for human conditions.

That was the protest in New York against Bush holding a conference there right? Funny some of the stuff I've read says FEMA are marking Christians as potential Terrorists 8(

And I admit I'm so far off topic I think :?:

Maybe why they headcapped the guy? but still your nerves can twich right?

We may never know *shrug*

A dead man's switch is one that goes off when you release your grip, so if you die the explosives detonate.

They were doing more then just holding automatic weapons. They would fence in protesters then bring them to a building that was not fit for human conditions.

Watch this http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...p;q=martial+law

Then tell me what you think about "free" America.

Can't be bothered to watch that now as it's 2.5 hours, but I will later. I didn't know there were any protests "right after 9/11" (should be 11/9, take back the calendar!), what were they protesting? I'm not saying the police haven't gone crazy in the US since 11/9, but I was wondering what you meant when you said "did you see what was happening in New York right after 9/11".