Laptop can't boot from USB

pritchard9

Hi.

My Laptop is a rubbishy Dell Latitude.

I've been wanting to test some Linux distrobutions out for a while, because Im curious really.

Unfortunately, there is no option to boot from USB. Just CD drive (which is broken; waiting for replacement), floppy drive and HD.

Is there any way to enable the option to boot from USB?

Im guessing there isnt, but just to make sure.

Thanks,

Pritchardo92

Well that setting has to be enabled through the bios, you might want to check and see that youre using the latest bios version. other than that i dont know what to tell you.

HEY GUYS MAYBE HE SHOULD CHECK HIS BIOS AND SEE IF THERES AN UPDATE. THAT MIGHT WORK. IF NOT HE COULD ALWAYS CHECK HIS BIOS FOR A NEWER VERSION.

Thanks for replies guys.

Sorry for lateness.

Yeah, thats a good point. Ill have a check to see if theres a newer BIOS version out.

Right now, mine is (from ReSysInfo)

< General BIOS Information >

Vendor : Unknown

Version : DELL - 27d4010c

Release Date : 01/12/04

'04... Jeez.

im pretty sure you usb drive can boot anything. buy a new usb drive or go try your current one on another pc

you dont understand. if your bios version/motherboard does not support that boot function then it dosnt matter what type of usb device you use or how new it is, it simply wont work.

• 9 months later...

I have tried usb booting and updating bios on many C series and none of them support usb booting, hell a lot of them only give you 1 usb port and that is a usb1.1!! pretty crappy because 2.0 was readily available when Dell made the laptops.