Warsow

buzzinh

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this site. It has Warsow and a slew of other games that run off of live discs: http://live.linux-gamers.net/?s=games

I think I may actually give Warsow a try this week, only, I have a Halloween party to go to this Saturday, so no lan party for me. :(

lol i just installed it. it reminded me that wolfet is based on a quake engine lmao. similar game style. wolf et just uses the quake2 engine as opposed to q3.

Warsow is build upon the QFusion engine which is based on the Q2 engine: http://www.warsow.net/wiki/index.php?title=About#Engine

well now lol. that explains why it was easy to pick up lol. im ready for that lan party.

I was just playing it for about an hour now. How do you join a hak5 game? Is there a way to find it listed in the search feature or do you have to use the console and some command to join in somehow?

Also, Has anyone been able to get it to run in VMware?(Im using the linux live dvd version by the way) I'd like to be able to install it if possible so I can switch back and forth to my desktop, but when I tried to run Warsow in Vmware, I get a frozen, squiggly lined screen. Works ok from a Live-DVD but keeps freezing every so often and I keep getting killed because of the freezing up. I reset my screen to 1024x768 and this aleviated some of the problems, but I think my ATI card isn't easily supported as I had this long disclaimer when first running the disc about loading ATI drivers for my card. Guess I'll have to deal with the graphic lag though, just sux when trying to kill someone and your screen and soundcard freeze for 3-5 seconds at a time.

edit: I think I am going to give the windows version a try as Id much rather play with a joystick than my mouse.

I was just playing it for about an hour now. How do you join a hak5 game? Is there a way to find it listed in the search feature or do you have to use the console and some command to join in somehow?

Also, Has anyone been able to get it to run in VMware?(Im using the lunix live dvd version by the way) I'd like to be able to install it if possible so I can switch back and forth to my desktop, but when I tried to run Warsow in Vmware, I get a frozen, squiggly lined screen. Works ok from a Live-DVD but keeps freezing every so often and I keep getting killed because of the freezing up. I reset my screen to 1024x768 and this aleviated some of the problems, but I think my ATI card isn't easily supported as I had this long disclaimer when first running the disc about loading ATI drivers for my card. Guess I'll have to deal with the graphic lag though, just sux when trying to kill someone and your screen and soundcard freeze for 3-5 seconds at a time.

edit: I think I am going to give the windows version a try as Id much rather play with a joystick than my mouse.

VMWare and 3D graphics don't really play well together.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is old news, but it might come in handy for anyone wanting to import Quake maps to warsow and you need to add BOTS so you can play offline or whatever.

I have been playing warsow a lot lately. I have also been downloading Quake 3 maps for the game, but noticed there are no BOTS in any of the levels. Mainly because they lack the Navigation files for the Quake maps, so practicing those levels would require me to have my server online and wait for visitors. Not fun. So, I tried to google for how to add bots to the game, only nothing seems to come up.

Looking into the PK3 files that make up the maps, I realized that the files are nothing more than a PK-zip file. Now I can look through each file with winRAR and see what makes them tick. Since I love ICTF games the most, I did a comparison of the WCTF1 maps vs any of my CTF Quake maps I downloaded. In the Warsow maps there is a folder named "navigation", with a file inside named the same name as the current map with the extention .nav

I extracted the navigation folder for the warsow ctf game and then renamed the nav file to match the name of my quake map, imported it into my quake map, and bam. I now have BOTS in my quake maps and can play them when there are no visitors to my server.

Just wanted to share this if you wanted to add BOTS to any maps, it is possible, just try to use the nav file that corresponds to the type of game you are playing, ex: ctf to ctf, dm to dm, ca to ca, etc.

If anyone here wants to play, my server is listed on the warsow search list(when its up and running). I have added about 15-20 new maps, mostly CTF maps, but some DM maps also. Plus I leave it open to votes for adding up to 4 teams in TDM as well as changing the gametypes and any maps I have.