HDD enlcosure with power over usb

dragoon670

So I recently recieved at 3.5" 500gb Western Digital SATA hard drive as a gift, the person purchasing it for me thought that more space was what i needed, not portability of said space. So I've been looking into getting an enclosure for it, as opposed to attempting to return it and get an external device. My main problem though is that I don't want to have to deal with power supplies and an extra set of cables and I can't seem to find an enclosure that provides power over usb to a 3.5" SATA drive, am I swimming in circles looking for one? Is there a way to hack this system together if I can't buy one?

Never seen a PoUSB Enclosure for a full size drive. I don't even think you could modify something as I'm not sure USB will provide enough juice to spin the thing up.

I would advise against buying a cheap enclosure, I've had two or three now and they just don't seem to last... :/

You would need to create a custom cable to put the power supplies in series, think batteries stacked on top of each other. That would increase your voltage but your current output would remain the same.

Stick with laptop HDD. they have less inrush current so your USB port won't cut off on a current limit. USB wasn't really meant to power an external harddrive that's why most external drive enclosures come with two cords. They parallel the USB power to provide the needed current to spin-up the drive.

Voltage is specified as unregulated and should nominally be about 25 volts (range 24 to 30). Apple's implementation on laptops is typically related to battery power and can be as low as 9 V and more likely about 12 V.

It's unregulated, which isn't some thing you should use with some thing like a hard drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire#Fire...EE_1394-1995.29