lappy temp

snakey

I just got a new lappy. well kinda new. dell inspirion 9100 3.0ghz 512. anyway it would idle at like 70c so i took the fans out cleaned em ( lots of duct covering the heat sinks ) and it now idles at 51 c. when i watch a movie it jumps up to 62c. is this hot for a laptop. im fair new to lappys and im not sure?

I would say that the temperature is OK, Laptops as you'll be aware have a short lifespan than that of a PC and I think alot of it is due to the temperatures they run at.

If you have the choice in future go for a Latitude over an Inspiron, imo they are worth the little extra.

Yeah, if anyone else is thinking about a Dell laptop (and I would, because they are good), go for a Latitude and pay extra for business support over home user support (Next day on site repairs are worth it).

I just got a new lappy. well kinda new. dell inspirion 9100 3.0ghz 512. anyway it would idle at like 70c so i took the fans out cleaned em ( lots of duct covering the heat sinks ) and it now idles at 51 c. when i watch a movie it jumps up to 62c. is this hot for a laptop. im fair new to lappys and im not sure?

We have 2 of these machines at my office. They always run hot and they sound like an F14 leaving the runway :P

I've never experienced any stability problems with either of them though. I think it was just a poorly designed laptop.

i bought it for 200 bucks which i thought was reasonable. anyways it dont turn on unless the power chord is plugged in does this mean the battery is rat shit? the battery light flashs 3 yellow 1 green and it says its 99% charged all the time.

i bought it for 200 bucks which i thought was reasonable. anyways it dont turn on unless the power chord is plugged in does this mean the battery is rat shit? the battery light flashs 3 yellow 1 green and it says its 99% charged all the time.

Turn it on with the power hooked up, then when it's running pull out the cable. If dies immediately, the battery's either not connected properly or it's knackered. If it does stay on, try running the battery down and charging it again, also try removing it and replacing it.

As for the temps, they're within expected temperatures for a modern laptop.

if the battery is not charging completely then you may need to completely drain it. it happened with my pocket pc battery, I connected the battery to 40mm fan after using the pocket pc to run the battery down

after fully draining it, i charged it back up again and the battery life estimated in the power options went from 5 hours, to 5.6 hours with max backlight

i cant drain it because it wont run the laptop if i pull the cord out it dies imediatly is there another way of draining it?

edit: Appears as though the battery has a built in fan but mine isnt there i have a fan port and a gap where the fan should be :P um link below what sort of fan connection is this and which one is + and -

http://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/view...p?product=LB227

its a 4 pin btw

i cant drain it because it wont run the laptop if i pull the cord out it dies imediatly is there another way of draining it?

edit: Appears as though the battery has a built in fan but mine isnt there i have a fan port and a gap where the fan should be :P um link below what sort of fan connection is this and which one is + and -

http://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/view...p?product=LB227

its a 4 pin btw

don't really need a fan to be there, just anything that can drain the battery down completely

some batteries have this problem where they eventually forget how much power they have and begin to hold less, and generally draining them completely will fix that problem, just don't do it too often as batteries hate doing that and it can shorten the life or it if done too much

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this applies (I have only worked with Latitude's) but if you hold down the Fn (Function Key) and then power the laptop on (Keeping the key held) you should get booted into the Dell Diagnostic Utility, this has a couple of useful battery options (Last used it for a similar battery issue)