How do I use the screen from an lcd monitor whose power is fried?

leetninja

I have an lcd monitor that got its power supply fried (internally) and I was wondering if there was someway to use just the screen on a different computer. I am but a beginner modder, and all the different colored wires are overwhelming. I'm pretty sure that this is near impossible, but if any one can help, that would be great. It was being thrown away, so I'd rather just put it to some sort of use.

You don't, really. The only way to really make use of it is to either repair or replace the power brick (or internal power regulator, or whatever is actually dead).

That or use the plastic surround/casing to stuff laptop guts in and call a digital photo frame (or stuff laptop guts in it, add a touchscreen overlay to the laptop's LCD and use it as a touchscreen media player/tablet/etc).

Are you sure its a power supply issue, or just the backlight that might have went bad. ;)

Probably the transformer on the power board is fine, your problem will be after the transformer and most likely capacitors. Yes "Sparda" you prolly could mod one of the supplys from maplin but he said "I am but a beginner modder, and all the different colored wires are overwhelming"....

My advice to you would be to look on the power board for a part number then look on ebay first then google for a replacement power board.

You misunderstand, all he would need to do is remove (if possible, other wise disconnect) the existing transformer from the monitor add some kind of socket then use an external power adapter with the correct voltage and supplies sufficient current.

I'm pretty sure that it is just the power supply, because it wouldn't even turn on when plugged in (I also tried a different cord/outlet.) Thanks guys, but I think this stuff is a bit too much trouble to go through for a trashed monitor.

I'm pretty sure that it is just the power supply, because it wouldn't even turn on when plugged in (I also tried a different cord/outlet.) Thanks guys, but I think this stuff is a bit too much trouble to go through for a trashed monitor.

you could try to find the same monitor on ebay with a cracked screen or something and just swap em out