Media Centers

l0ki

I don't think so. MythTV is an open source project and I don't really think it's really owned by anyone. Why would Yahoo pay for it if they could just use the source themselves for free? They certainly couldn't make it closed-source unless every person who had contributed to the code under the GPL agreed to licence it to Yahoo under another licence, which seems unlikely.

No, MythTV wasn't bought out by anyone, nor will it ever be. It's a wonderful open source media center program, I built mine about a year ago and can hardly live without it. Hell, I watch Hak5 on it. Download on the PC, then transfer it over to Myth (or stream it) and watch it on a nice TV.

If you're interested in building your own, I really recommend going over to www.mysettopbox.tv and checking out Knoppmyth. Fantastic installer program that takes all the guesswork out of configuring your own system and offers plenty of configurability. Now that I look, they've come out with a new version within the last couple days... time to upgrade perhaps....

yup:

800MHz Duron w/256MB RAM and NV GF FX5200,

Running Windows XP, iTunes and VLC,

Storage is 9GB HDD and WiFi access to my main box,

Controlled by a Saitek P2500 USB Game Controller and supplied keystroke emulation app.

Connected to my TV via S-Video > SCART adaptor and to my Technics stack for audio.

Soon to be upgraded to 1GHz Athlon.

I'm sure we have had this discusion befor...

500MHz CPU, 160MB RAM, 120GB hard drive running windows media center... it was intended for MythTV, but I didn't do my research properly and it turns out that although Linux has drivers for my TV card, it's not supported by MyuthTV yet... will install MythTV as soon as it's supported.

I built a Myth TV box and run it for about 8 months but I didn’t think much of it, I now just buy Xbox’s which you can get for £70 new or £20 uses and use XBMC on stick Gentoo on them and have everything running of a central server.

I built a Myth TV box and run it for about 8 months but I didn’t think much of it, I now just buy Xbox’s which you can get for £70 new or £20 uses and use XBMC on stick Gentoo on them and have everything running of a central server.

Are you just using XBMC to watch video files and play music and the like? MythTV is primarily used as a PVR so you can record and watch TV shows. That's my primary use for it, but I also use it to play video files and do stuff like check the weather or my Netflix queue.

Are you just using XBMC to watch video files and play music and the like? MythTV is primarily used as a PVR so you can record and watch TV shows. That's my primary use for it, but I also use it to play video files and do stuff like check the weather or my Netflix queue.

I have a satellite TV box hooked up to my media server so I can record stuff, I also have an archive of all my music, DVD’s and it’s set up to automatically download a big list of shows of bit torrent and a long list of podcast’s and if needed convert them to a different format, all the XBMC’s do is access my dedicated server and allow me to watch any thing that is stored or hooked up to my server, I use a small device that Sky sells that allows me to change the channels on my satellite receiver from any room and use a web interface I designed to setup recording times which is very similar to Sky+.

Everything can be access remotely and I can also switch stations on the sky box using the web interface from any computer, anywhere in the world.