4od on demand

tabath

For those in the UK - anyone used the channel 4  4od service. I just downloaded it and went to download a show I wanted to try( not that it matters but is was Reaper) and had  a pop notifying that the Drm needed updating(which I find really lazy  - I mean for gods sake I just downloaded the service files and its needing an update already when). The thing uses activeX heavily which means IE (yes I know there are plugins for Firefox).

Anyway the thing is an absolute pain - from I can see no way of downloading on a portable media player due to the crappy drm system , not even mac compatable. Gonna be doing some looking around and poking things on this and wondered if any others had looked at it?

Just bit torrent the shows instead. The only online media thing thats any good on the move is the BBC iPlayer on a Touch/iPhone.

I 'm thinkinf your right, not a patch on iplayer. The things is heavily tied into Windows media player as well. :-x

I used 4od once or twice (IT crowd) and even though the video was very clear it was a shame that i can't use it on another device plus there's a time limit. You wanna go legal and all and they shoot you down and wonder why p2p is on the rise  :-? . I haven't tried BBC yet but do what VaKo said Bit torrent thats what i use and after i've watched them i might keep them or get rid of (not sell it on like they think happens with every p2p person)

The only way to use the videos from 4oD on any non-Windows/WMP device is to strip the DRM. The 4oD and iPlayer downloaders both use DRM'd video and both use Kontiki to deliver it. The flash/iPhone/iTouch iPlayer is the only useful outcome of the whole lot IMO.

I download iPlayer Videos to my mac very easily.

Step 1) Install the User Agent Changer on Firefox.

Step 2) Set the User Agent to the iPhones User Agent "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3" (without the quotes).

Step 3) Go to your Desired Video

Step 4) On the Quicktime Player (Yes, it requires Quicktime), Click on the Arrow, scrol down the Menu and Click on "Save as Source"

Step 5) There is no Step 5, you've just downloaded the video in glorious 640x480!

• 5 weeks later...

I've used Orbit Downloader to grab iPlayer's Flash vids. IIRC, the .FLV files play okay in VLC but can be a bit bothersome with other players. A quick run through something like MediaCoder or PocketDivXEncoder gives you a file that's quite portable.

• 7 months later...
For those in the UK - anyone used the channel 4  4od service. I just downloaded it and went to download a show I wanted to try( not that it matters but is was Reaper) and had  a pop notifying that the Drm needed updating(which I find really lazy  - I mean for gods sake I just downloaded the service files and its needing an update already when). The thing uses activeX heavily which means IE (yes I know there are plugins for Firefox).

Anyway the thing is an absolute pain - from I can see no way of downloading on a portable media player due to the crappy drm system , not even mac compatable. Gonna be doing some looking around and poking things on this and wondered if any others had looked at it?

Ok Ive Been Pissed Off As Well So I Thought id help ive made a video of how to do it on pc and i have a mac but not 10.5 but i found a mac app that should do the trick but the pc one works and converts to .mov (DRM Free:_))

youtube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OQA9ONUd94c

H/Q: Youtube high qualty

Hope This Helps!

P.s Pc Users Ignore the Mca Folder... Pc Exec Is using ruby u will need net framework.

(this is for iplayer !!! and sorry for the hq link not working)