What distro of linux

Brennan

Yeah, loose the GUI, you will save space and resources that would otherwise be wasted. I like FreeBSD myself, but Debian would be nice to. Neither of these are point and click installs but they would work rather nicely.

Seriously, on a *nix server you do not want a gui at all.

QFE.

Also on low spec machines too, though that's already been said. If you really *must* have a GUI, I'd definitely skip Gnome and KDE in favour of something a little lighter, xfce for example, or perhaps fluxbox.

Ubuntu is a good choice if you haven't a clue where to start. However, it's not nearly "the deep end" if you wanna get stuck in. Of course, it is still Linux based, no-one can dispute that, so it still does everything it should, it's just a bit more bubble-wrapped than... almost every other distro ever. On the plus side, you can generally install drivers easier due to Canonical (the guys who distribute Ubuntu) allowing closed source drivers to be installed with a couple of button presses.

It's not, however, a good choice if your machine is lacking in power (and specifically RAM), it'll curl up and die on any machine with a lower spec than it thinks it needs at any given time.

Ubuntu is a good choice if you haven't a clue where to start. However, it's not nearly "the deep end" if you wanna get stuck in. Of course, it is still Linux based, no-one can dispute that, so it still does everything it should, it's just a bit more bubble-wrapped than... almost every other distro ever. On the plus side, you can generally install drivers easier due to Canonical (the guys who distribute Ubuntu) allowing closed source drivers to be installed with a couple of button presses.

It's not, however, a good choice if your machine is lacking in power (and specifically RAM), it'll curl up and die on any machine with a lower spec than it thinks it needs at any given time.

this is completely true

for a server debian is probably better than ubuntu

but maybe if it's your first server ubuntu is a better choice than debian

but ubuntu will not work on a computer with 32 mb ram and 300 Mhz cpu

this is completely true

for a server debian is probably better than ubuntu

but maybe if it's your first server ubuntu is a better choice than debian

but ubuntu will not work on a computer with 32 mb ram and 300 Mhz cpu

but debian-from-scratch would happily

yes but that's not really userfriendly

User friendly generally means less secure and more bloated. This is far from ideal in a server environment, you need security and speed. If you can't work it out without a pretty GUI and you can't compile stuff yourself, I wouldn't advise putting up a public server.

yes but that's not really userfriendly

not even close... but it runs

and that's where linux is for , it just works  :D

On the contrary, unless you know its quirks and how to get around already, Linux can be a major, and I mean MAJOR, pain in the ass. Compiling drivers, manually editing .confs without a GUI, error messages worthy of BSoD-level user friendliness... If you want easy, I'd stick to OSX or Windows.

and that's where linux is for , it just works  :D

you've never use linux before

linux is the last thing I'd label at 'Just works'

well i'm used to work with ubuntu and that works on all my computers without major problems , unless windows

Well in reality nothing is going to be that happy on a 300mhz CPU with 32mb of ram, my phone has more kick than that. If I'm honest, I'd suggest throwing that machine away. You can find Pentium 3 and 4 based systems people are chucking so why waste your time on something that outdated?

As for OS choices, you don't want a gui here, so the whole binary blob driver argument is pointless. All you need is support for the NIC so you can use SSH. I don't know how linux behaves at the very low end of computers, but I suspect it will run, in a fashion. It just depends how its configured out of the box. I do know that a minimal install of FreeBSD with a tweaked kernel will run however. I don't know how sticking apache and mysql on the box will fare, but my money is on terribly. At the very least max out the ram, but seriously think about just throwing the thing away and getting a newer system.