Hakme Project

Chris Gerling

All,

I know some of you have probably heard about this little project from the grapevine in the last couple of weeks, and have seen my postings on my blog about it from the front page of this site.  I figure it's about time to let the cat out of the bag and actually get the thing out on the table.

There are three main parts to the project (I love making everything fit into a list of 3.. *grin*):

1.) A server to be made available for "rootthisbox" type competition.  Users attempt to gain root on the machine through exploiting vulnerabilities on it.  The intention is to make it very hard for the script kiddie types to be successful, or to ensure that even if they are, there is a component such as answering a critical thinking question which anyone savvy in network security would know.

2.) A server to be made available for "capture the flag" competition.  This server will only be available during the competitions scheduled and organized by staff.  There will be goals and reports to be submitted by teams participating.

3.) Logistics and support behind the scenes, and auditing of activity on the servers.  This is an opportunity to analyze and share information about what is going on during these events to help people better understand network security concepts, primarily defense.

I will have a mailing list setup by tomorrow and already have some email addresses of those who wish to be involved.  There will be plenty more information in the coming weeks.

For now, anyone interested in assisting with this project, feel free.  I will be updating the project page on my site tomorrow as well.

• 3 months later...

What if an isp figured out that someone was indeed hacking and did not realize that it was all a game?

not saying an isp would find out but what if they did?

What if an isp figured out that someone was indeed hacking and did not realize that it was all a game?

not saying an isp would find out but what if they did?

Nothing would happen. Attacks happen and machines are compromised all day and every day, if the ISPs did anything then we might not have botnets with more nodes than cells in the creators' bodies...

• 9 months later...