laptop problem

r1

i am working on a laptop for my friend.  he has a Toshiba 1115-s103.  anyways his hard drive stopped booting up. so i thought  that it was his 1. hard drive 2. motherboard  or 3. his BIOS. 

1st i  swapped out my laptop hard drive and put it in his laptop ,and it works fine.  so i don't think its his motherboard or BIOS ,but i went ahead and flashed his BIOS  still doesn't boot up with his hard drive.

2nd at this point I'm thinking its got to be his hard drive ,but i put his in my laptop and it boots fine.

i don't understand why his hard drive won't boot up in his laptop?  :sad:

any help would be great!!!

thanks

-r1

When does the computer freeze up?

Does it POST? (Sounds like it does from your description so i am assuming it does)

Does Windows freeze at loadup?

Can you access safe mode?

well,  after the splash screen it says 

"Intel UNDI , pxe-2.0  (Build 082)

Copyright ©  1997-2000 Intel Corporation

for Realtek RTL8139 (A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet controller v2.12 (010425)

PXE-E61 : media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F : Exiting PXE ROM"

and just repeats it. 

i know it sounds like its tryin to boot up from the network but i went into the bios and the hard drive is number 1 while the network boot is last.

also i went into the bios and it doesn't even see the hard drive.  i just don't understand why my hard drive works great in his laptop while his does not?

-r1

well i just reinstalled Ubuntu and it still don't work  :sad:

it's still saying the error thing (as posted above).  but the bad part is i don't have a gun to shoot it  lol

i think it has sumthing to do with the hard drive but i  don't know whats so different between mine and his hard drives.

-r1

if it worked then didnt it would not be the jumpers try another port for the hdd im not big on laptops but i think your friend might have a bridge or something in his motherboard or his hdd shit itself. can you access your hdd when you boot of the boot cd.

well,  after the splash screen it says 

"Intel UNDI , pxe-2.0  (Build 082)

Copyright ©  1997-2000 Intel Corporation

for Realtek RTL8139 (A/B/C)/RTL8130 PCI Fast Ethernet controller v2.12 (010425)

PXE-E61 : media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F : Exiting PXE ROM"

and just repeats it.   

i know it sounds like its tryin to boot up from the network but i went into the bios and the hard drive is number 1 while the network boot is last.

also i went into the bios and it doesn't even see the hard drive.  i just don't understand why my hard drive works great in his laptop while his does not?

-r1

Go into the bios and if possible disable boot from lan. If it does not save the settings, see if the cmos battery is dead. All else fails, set the bios to "default" setitngs and go from there, but I think it is the bios trying to boot from lan and bypassing the HDD. If the HDD is not found, maybe it isnt seated correctly or making a bad connection internally, but I find that hard to beleive if your HDD worked. You can also try removing the CMOS battery and hoping a fill reset of the BIOS works.

i tried to disable the lan ,and  it did save it. so the battery is not dead.  but it still gave me the same error msg.

the HDD is not found in the bios but is found when i do a live cd (ubuntu) .  so i would think it's seated right. ( i can even read and write to it.)

as far as pulling out the cmos battery for a full restore.  wouldn't flashing the bios with a update do the same thing?(set everything back to default along with upgrading itself)(

i would say that his HDD is just a piece of crap but it works in my laptop just fine.

-r1

i tried to disable the lan ,and  it did save it. so the battery is not dead.  but it still gave me the same error msg.

the HDD is not found in the bios but is found when i do a live cd (ubuntu) .  so i would think it's seated right. ( i can even read and write to it.)

as far as pulling out the cmos battery for a full restore.  wouldn't flashing the bios with a update do the same thing?(set everything back to default along with upgrading itself)(

i would say that his HDD is just a piece of crap but it works in my laptop just fine.

-r1

Removing the CMOS battery should reset the bios and all settings saved in the bios. Flashing it is only when you want to change, update or add some code or functions of the BIOS, like being able to boot from CD, etc, on older machines that do not list it as an option. Instead of setting it to auto, have you tried manually adding the HDD in the bios?

What happens if you try to boot a windows recovery cd? Can it see the HDD?

digip,

i went into the BIOS  and there is no way to manually set up the hdd.  or at least i didn't see it.  i put a windows recovery cd in there and it does see his hard drive.

snakey,

he doesn't have two spaces. but if the boot sector was bad would it still boot up fine in my laptop?

vako,

it's about a 4 or 5 year old laptop so i don't think so.  aren't those fairly new?

i asked him 2day to just get a new hard drive, i hope that works.  we will see.

-r1

One thing, did you try your HDD in his laptop? I know you said his HDD worked in your laptop, but does yours work in his? (/digip makes mental note to re read thread)

Sounds like something in his lappy is foobared. I would load a LiveCD and copy all the important stuff off the hard drive, then try and reformat the damn thing and start over. Might be quicker to do this and if you have to buy a new HDD and copy all the important stuff over once you get it working. If no HDD works in the lappy, then its some other component on the laptop and obviously not his HDD.