learn programming?

inetbogey

Many people are misinformed, C# and .NET are an open standard.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Language_Infrastructure

I wasn't aware of that.  I see there are also Windows ports of .NET.  Let me say, then, that I simply don't trust Microsoft technology, but that's mostly politics.  I also think that their software is typically too complicated.  By association I put their languages and APIs in the same category.  I've used the Windows API a bit, and I much prefer POSIX.

Can anyone recommend a good book for C++ and C#?

Thanks

The C++ Programming Language (Bjarne Stroustrup) is the best reference to the language.  I didn't use it to learn the language, though.

Many people are misinformed, C# and .NET are an open standard.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Language_Infrastructure

I wasn't aware of that.  I see there are also Windows ports of .NET.  Let me say, then, that I simply don't trust Microsoft technology, but that's mostly politics.  I also think that their software is typically too complicated.  By association I put their languages and APIs in the same category.  I've used the Windows API a bit, and I much prefer POSIX.

Can anyone recommend a good book for C++ and C#?

Thanks

The C++ Programming Language (Bjarne Stroustrup) is the best reference to the language.  I didn't use it to learn the language, though.

POSIX and Windows API are completely different.  POSIX isn't an API, it's a standard.  Windows even implements POSIX standards fully, where as Linux and BSD don't.

Sams Teach Yourself Insert Language Here in 24 hours/30 days is pretty good at teaching you various languages, I would definitely recommend learning either C or C++, or even a lower level language because those languages access much more crazier things about the computer as well as make you worry about various stuff such as garbage collection that languages like Java take care for you.  And once you learn one of these languages, stuff like Java and C# will become absolutely easy to learn because the syntax is not that far off from C++.  Also C is not an object oriented language while C++ is, and it would probably be best to learn the tough stuff first so that when you move onto C++/Java/C#/etc. things will become MUCH easier for you.

Windows even implements POSIX standards fully, where as Linux and BSD don't.

This kinda surprised me as I had used Cygwin in the past precisely because Windows didn't implement it at the time.

Turns out that Windows natively implements it in Server 2003 R2, Vista Ultimate and Vista Enterprise.

I call that progress. :)

VB was my first programming language I learned, now i'm working with C# and it's really powerfull. I also know C++ . I don't know if people consider SQL a real programming language but I do and I really enjoy SQL. I finally understand JOINS w00t!

VB was my first programming language I learned, now i'm working with C# and it's really powerfull. I also know C++ . I don't know if people consider SQL a real programming language but I do and I really enjoy SQL. I finally understand JOINS w00t!

How did you learn c# can you link me to sum good tutorials please

Microsoft actually has some great tutorials for teaching C# and VB, just go to help in Visual Studio and then click on learn C#.  It also has awesome tutorials for learning XNA game studio if you're into that kind of stuff once you finish learning some C#