learn programming?

inetbogey

Hi Guys,

this, no doubt, has been asked before, but i wanted to learn a little programming. my thought was to go for C++.

then some folks, i know, had at least 2 others, PHP and visual basic.

i just wanted to learn enough to maybe do some small programs to automate some jobs.

what do you guys think? would i have to learn everything there is to know or just enough to get by?

thanks.

C# is what most places are starting to use now. C++ is very powerful as well.

FWIW, I learned Visual Basic first, then C++.

Likewise, i started wif VB, though found it to be not as powerful as i wanted it to be, so moved onto C++, im still much more skillful in VB as i havnt dedicated enough time to C, though in modern days C is more openly availiable on the net, in which i mean, there are open / freeware compilers, and there are thousands of Tut's out there.

Also PHP is a really good language to learn (its my main language now), though is Limited on its targeted audience.

this was what i had in mind,.........i was going to buy a dummies book for C++ and go from there.

do you think i could learn how to use the program from that kind of book or do you think i should check out another way?

i did look at the adult ed classes but no one has any. any thoughts on how to go about it? because you guys have been through it before

can you suggest the better way to proceed? a book, a tutorial disk, on line class?

thanks for your input.

This is my opinion, its best to start with low level and work your way up so that you understand how everything below you is actually working.

First start with a really easy lang, make a few .bat files, get to know how a loop works,and the basic structure of programs (i actually started programming my TI-83 calculator with automated math equations to use on tests at school in 8th grade), and its best to do this step without resources, as much as possible, not that hard.

Then move to something a little more complicated like Python / C , don't bother learning VB as  its useless (ok thats highly opinionated).  For this read online site to help.

And then finally to object oriented programming C++ / C# whatever you want, its all gravy. Take a class at a community college or something for this.

Other tips, try to do this with your friends see who can out code the others, but be sure to always share knowledge of how you made your programs with each other.

~SITES~

Python

http://docs.python.org/tut/

C++

http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/

Questions? Google or ask on Hak.5!

OK, so your saying that i should start with python, then C? i did look at the python site and you can't beat the price.

would i be able to create small programs to run on windows as well as Linux/ UNIX?

if python is a good place to start,

would i have to be able to learn everything there is to know about python to use it?

or if i moved on to C?

OK, so your saying that i should start with python, then C?

Yes, Python is a great start programing lang.  The syntax is pretty easy to understand, has all your basic IFs / THENs / WHILEs / BOOLs

i be able to create small programs to run on windows as well as Linux/ UNIX?

Yes!

would i have to be able to learn everything there is to know about python to use it?

or if i moved on to C?

You wouldn't have to learn everything just get to know how everything works, then move to C / C++

don't bother learning VB as  its useless (ok thats highly opinionated).

Dam right that's highly opinionated :P

VB ain't that useless if you know how to use it properly, I admit its not the most powerful language but its a useful language for shitting out small apps you may only use a few times, considering it takes almost no time to make them.

useful language for shitting out small apps you may only use a few times, considering it takes almost no time to make them.

You got me there ;)

Never learn VB first. All advanced programmers will tell you that learning VB first is a horrible practice due to its Syntax being so incredibly different than so many languages.

Learn C first, you will be able to read, Java and C++ easily after learning C, plus C++ being a superset of C will be incredibly easy to you.

Interesting. I first started with Pascal which is okay to get you to split your work up in smaller procedures. You can then advance to Delphi which is pretty much Object Oriented Pascal. The jump from there to C is not that hard, once you get over the whole 'having to prepare the memory' side of it. Maybe a jump on to a higher language like Python, Java or C# would be more natural.

While I personally prefer C, most kids coming out of schools these days have been taught primarily Java and C#. Don't assume that won't have its consequences.

I'd go with c++ but I find Python really useful when I need to do something quick and dirty. Python is really easy to learn so if you just want a taste to see if you want to get into coding try Python then if you like what you can do check out c++ or maybe some c although c++ will probably be best for you. 

Another tip that i find usefull, is to listen to Rage Against the Machine at full volume when i code.

I want to join the 'promote your favorite language thread' too!  First I would start with COBOL.  When you're comfortable with that, you can move over to Ada or Fortran.  Top it off with some Eiffel and ML and you'll be unstoppable.  Seriously, though?

I started with C, reading The C Programming Language (Kernighan and Ritchie), the only C book you'll ever need or could want, though I would like a third edition with C99 updates.  Personally, I would prefer it over Python since Python's object-oriented, and therefore more complicated.  I know that some universities use Python for the introductory programming courses.  This is for people who don't know what to expect from programming.  You have enough motivation to work on your own, so I don't think you need that shortcut.  During my time in university, I found that I had a much better understanding for how things worked than my classmates, who seemed clueless.  To this day, I don't know what's so hard about preventing memory leaks and using pointers.  Plus, I love computers, and the closer of a connection I can have with the hardware, the more enjoyable it is.

My favorite language is C++.  Gaining a full understanding of this language takes a lot of work.  The C++ Programming Language is a very large book in comparison to The C Programming Language, but it's full of great examples and insights from the language's creator, Bjarne Stroustrup.  Reading Effective C++ is also helpful.  The level of control that it gives makes it really enjoyable for me to work with.

I do like Python a lot, though.  I count it as my second favorite language.  There's a lot of documentation online, though it is very nonuniform and can be hard to navigate (a good reason to buy Python in a Nutshell).  It's open source and cross-platform, which I love.

I don't think writing DOS batch files is helpful.  The only batch files I ever wrote just sequentially executed programs.  For political reasons, I will never use proprietary languages like VB or C# (Microsoft's Java), unless I absolutely need to.  I don't like the idea of pigeon-holing my code into a single environment.  Especially one that's closed off to inspection like Windows is.

In summary:

C first.  Python & C++ second.

Hi Guys,

this, no doubt, has been asked before, but i wanted to learn a little programming. my thought was to go for C++.

i just wanted to learn enough to maybe do some small programs to automate some jobs.

what do you guys think? would i have to learn everything there is to know or just enough to get by?

thanks.

Although I've heard C# and C++ are very powerful, I've also heard they are fairly difficult to learn.

Just hearsay, but supposedly Perl is much easier and just as powerful.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I haven't learned one yet  :-?

It's one of my "yet-to-be-completed-goals."

Good Luck

Hi Guys,

thanks.

Although I've heard C# and C++ are very powerful, I've also heard they are fairly difficult to learn.

Good Luck

You should learn a "difficult" language first, then everything else shall be easy.

Hi Guys,

thanks.

Good Luck

You should learn a "difficult" language first, then everything else shall be easy.

yep

just like throwing a kid in the deep end of the pool makes them swim