Cable modem?

Twisted

I was wondering if there was a way that i can get 4 or 5 cable modems to work together.  I want to host a forum on my server and i want to see if i can get all the traffic to be split up between the modems.  its going to be a paintball forum and if everything goes right there should be at most 3 to 5,000 people connected a once.

I honestly don't see how you will have 3000-5000 co-current users! That's alot of traffic, I'd say thats alot of traffic even for the 'Global Paintball Forums of the World!' what are you offering on it? Free Nude pictures of Kelly Brook?

If you think you are going to be getting those kind of figures then you need to migrate your server to dedicated facilities. I wish you the best of luck with it. BTW what hardware / platform are you running this website on?

I have 3 dell poweredge 6650 servers with quad 1.5ghz xeon processors all have 5 73gb 10k SCSI harddrives 2 have 4gigs ram and one has 8gigs ram. I am going to use the 2 with 4gigs ram for websever and load balance them and the one with 8gigs for the database. my goal is to get that many. i have been looking into other forums and there just plain allot of people are asking for them to be updated and more organized and there just not doing that. then all the scamming going on. i was thinking about creating a database for when some goes to buy something off them they can put the address in it and see if they scammed somebody. i would be controlling that. they would have to have proof of the scam tracking numbers the deal that went on. the other sites have suggestion boxes for changes on the sites. they have allot of suggestions and they don't put them into the site. so i would also add stuff from them to my site. that would get traffic to my site 2.

forgot to add that i would be using server 2003 or centos any suggestions on what i should run?

Nice idea, nice servers - they must have set you back a few pennies!

To be honest I would personally run the forum from home. From day 1 your not going to have that kind of traffic volume so you should be ok, once traffic picks up I would relocate the servers.

The money you've invested in the servers I would recommend getting a good cisco router and switch, scrap this idea of routers ;)

I like MRGRIM's idea. It just seems odd that with all that sweet kit you would pinch the pennies when it came to the connection. Kinda seems like buying a Ferrari and running it on chip fat. If you do stick to the home hosting connection then at the very least spend a bit extra and get a buisness DSL connection with a SLA and decent upload, SDSL if you can swing it.

Can anyone recommend a good data centre in the UK? I need to move my ML530 out of my attic, I'm looking into the cost of running it from home vs else where (factors include ADSL and juice my Compaq probably responsible for 10% of global warming  :lol:)

I like MRGRIM's idea. It just seems odd that with all that sweet kit you would pinch the pennies when it came to the connection. Kinda seems like buying a Ferrari and running it on chip fat. If you do stick to the home hosting connection then at the very least spend a bit extra and get a buisness DSL connection with a SLA and decent upload, SDSL if you can swing it.

I was just seeing if it was possable to do that wasn't shure if it was. I want to host it at my house cuz i know whats going on and if i have to do hardware changes i can do it myself. Not that i don't trust people with m hardware i just like doing things myself. the only thing that would really stop me if the pipe went down or something went very wrong with the severs. got 25kw backup generator hooked up to the house. so i don't have to worry about power. i just have to get a good ups.

I want to host it at my house cuz i know whats going on and if i have to do hardware changes i can do it myself. Not that i don't trust people with m hardware i just like doing things myself.

You're probably better off housing the machines at some datacenter that's near to your house (assuming there is one). Remember that you should only need physical access when hardware needs changing (due to failure or upgrades). And you can get that when you simply rent a chunk of rackspace at a datacenter. In return they (should) provide clean power as well as clean and cool air to the box, plus the obligatory redundant fat pipe onto the internet. Getting a fat pipe at your local house is expensive, never mind redundancy and there's a chance that you'll move away in a certain number of years. When you get connectivity at the datacenter you also tend to get cheaper rates, as well as more variation in the options. Like starting out with a thin pipe that can get widened as demand increases.

Playing this game from your house, while doable, sounds like a fairly poor call, unless you really want to throw cash around.

You're probably better off housing the machines at some datacenter that's near to your house (assuming there is one). Remember that you should only need physical access when hardware needs changing (due to failure or upgrades). And you can get that when you simply rent a chunk of rackspace at a datacenter. In return they (should) provide clean power as well as clean and cool air to the box, plus the obligatory redundant fat pipe onto the internet. Getting a fat pipe at your local house is expensive, never mind redundancy and there's a chance that you'll move away in a certain number of years. When you get connectivity at the datacenter you also tend to get cheaper rates, as well as more variation in the options. Like starting out with a thin pipe that can get widened as demand increases.

Playing this game from your house, while doable, sounds like a fairly poor call, unless you really want to throw cash around.

I looked into it they want $1000 for the Cabinet, 20 amp AC redundant power circuit $325,5 Mbps Commitment $600 that's $1925 a month. plus a $900 cabinet setup fee. i also looked into sharing a cabinet that's almost $1400 a month with a 5 mbps. i looked at a bonded t1 for my house  and i can get that for a little under $800 a month. i'm going to keep looking but damn that's some $$$$$

Somethings in life are worth paying for. An decent SLA and compitent NOC/data center staff will not come cheap, but if/when the shit hits the fan they will be worth it. Have you considered just launching the thing on a VPS or something, seeing how it plays out and then migrating it to a co-located or self hosted server as and when the user numbers justify the expense? You have an huge amount of horse power that will initially be doing nothing but idling for the most part.

I found a place 45 min from my house. for 12u managed Colocation,10 Mbit Unmetered Bandwidth/Value Network i can get that for $780 month if i get big i can get a 20 Mbit Unmetered Bandwidth/Value Network for an extra $200 so i can make sure i got enough pipe

Whats the SLA like and whats the visitation policy? I worked in a place where you had to book out a specific time slot in advance and bring ID, but only  between 8-18. Which is no use if you need to replace a disk on Friday evening before bank holiday weekend. 

Whats the SLA like and whats the visitation policy? I worked in a place where you had to book out a specific time slot in advance and bring ID, but only  between 8-18. Which is no use if you need to replace a disk on Friday evening before bank holiday weekend.   

looked at the site and it dosen't really say anything might have to call them and find out. heres the site www.inetservices.com