ANTI THEFT ?

throbinskin

I found this site on accident, but very glad I did.  I am very new to computer language and would take any advice, help or links.  I have been reading through many posts all day today.  My goal is this.

Leave behind some usb flash drives at work. .    Why.  Well I have done this on accident many times and someone or someones at my work have sticky fingers and have taken them.    I have an idea of three people but can't prove it.   

All I'm looking to get is proof.  their computer name.  gps location of there ip address (home) and anything else that can help me prove that they are steeling.  I work at a fire station and this should not be tolerated.  Once I catch the person I want them out of my station.  I cant tell you how much stuff has been stolen it's sickening.  I'm not trying to get anything else as it looks like many people here are try to do.  I just want proof !

Do I really need a u3 flash drive or not?  looking to spend no more than $20 and have a min of 1 gig to be tempting to take home.  what do I need to put on the flash drive and it needs to be able to run on xp or vista.

watched the hacksaw video many times. . . .  as far as email.  They sug.  gmail because of the wide use and free.  does the person/s I'm trying to catch have to have a gmail account for their computer to email me?

Can anyone HELP

Thanks

Modify some usb sticks so that they physically damage the computer when plugged in. Not entirely sure how its done but my mate managed it by leaving one in the footwell of his car for months on end. I suspect you could just short the power lines to the data line. Then wait for someone to complain there machine is broken.

This is best asked in the USB hacks section of the forum, so I'll move it.

It would just be a case of taking the hacksaw and modifying it to steal the information you need. But, since people who steal stuff will probally not pay for there software and most people have the version of XP that came with there computer, you would want to shift your target to email and IM accounts. Couple it with wrighting your name on the disc in UV ink and some form of security camera and you should be firing people within the week, unless the union rules say stealing from your co-workers is an offical benifit.

I still like the idea of filing the thumbdrive with RDX hooked to the power lines though...

Thanks for the replies.  In order for it to to be "stolen" it has to leave the property without permission.  And that is what has happend to my other flash drives. They were taken off property and never seen again.

So I have to hope, believe they will take the stolen flash drive  and put it in their computer at home.

I wouldn't have mentioned VNC if it wasn't going to work...  IMO the person won't have anything preventing the connection, but you could do other things to indicate that it was their pc, like take screenies or dump system info to the internet.

VNC is simply the most obvious and clear way to prove it was one particular person.

I wouldn't have mentioned VNC if it wasn't going to work...  IMO the person won't have anything preventing the connection, but you could do other things to indicate that it was their pc, like take screenies or dump system info to the internet.

VNC is simply the most obvious and clear way to prove it was one particular person.

To many people have hardware firewalls (built into their wireless routers) that would stop vnc in its tracks.

If you think the person stealing the flash drives are using them at your place of business. You could write a batch that installs itself into there start up folder and Net sends messages to the whole network...i'm sure they wouldn't be able to explain there self and they might even get fired if you had the batch run its self in a loop.

SP2 disabled net send by default I think. Connecting to the person is going to be a problem, but gathering information (screenshot of the desktop, email and IM accounts used etc)  from whatever machine its plugged into and dumping it to a pre-arranged location will work. But, since your basically wiretapping a random PC, you may run into legal trouble. What you could say is "my USB stick has gone missing, hope no one plugs it in because I think its got some nasty viruses on it, made my computer go weird when I plugged it in", but do it publically a few days after the bait has been taken. Then if something nasty does come up from it, just claim you were testing something out and never intended for someone else to use the stick.