wiring a mp3 to a old reciever

ohppas

hey I'm new here, and I just had a question if someone could help me that would be great.  I don't have any money right now and I wanted to know how I can somehow make a wire to connect my mp3 into the back of my receiver so I can have it on surround sound.  my mp3 is just a 1gig creative zen, and my receiver is really old, so it has no pluggins for such a thing. I know there are conversion wires you can buy but they cost like 40 bucks, is there a way I can do this with wires I have lying around the house? thanks for your time :P

~Sara~

hey I'm new here, and I just had a question if someone could help me that would be great.  I don't have any money right now and I wanted to know how I can somehow make a wire to connect my mp3 into the back of my receiver so I can have it on surround sound.  my mp3 is just a 1gig creative zen, and my receiver is really old, so it has no pluggins for such a thing. I know there are conversion wires you can buy but they cost like 40 bucks, is there a way I can do this with wires I have lying around the house? thanks for your time :P

~Sara~

What kind of connections can it receive? RCA or is it raw wire inputs to clamps? You could splice a headphone jack into an rca cable if it takes RCA, and if its just open wire into the little clamps, then just do the same only leave out the RCA.

Also, don't expect to get "Surround Sound". If you have an old receiver you aren't getting real surround sound anyway. AKA your MP3 player only outputs on 2 channel, left and right. Whereas surround sound has 6 or even 8 channels.

though cant L/R sound be put through a visuliser and turned into souround sound?

Also, don't expect to get "Surround Sound". If you have an old receiver you aren't getting real surround sound anyway. AKA your MP3 player only outputs on 2 channel, left and right. Whereas surround sound has 6 or even 8 channels.

though cant L/R sound be put through a visuliser and turned into souround sound?

Probally better to use a DSP.

~Sara~

If your receiver has true surround sounds, its new enough to have RCA inputs(such as where you would connect a CD player). Now, are we talking a true stereo receiver, or is it an all in one shelf system?

If it does have said RCA input, then just buy a headphone plug to RCA adapter. Most stores, including Walmart, sell them for about $5.

hey thanks guys all this helps, its an all in one reciever and yah it has RCA outputs and inputs, I have my ps2, a 6 disc player, and my tv hooked up to it, its a pretty big reciever. I have tried wiring an old headphone piece to an RCA  so it can plug in the back but Im having no luck with that, maybe Im wiring it wrong I dunno, any other sugestions would be great :P

~sara~

if ur using an old set of headphones, with the 3 tipped prong (standard head phone jack) and are connecting it to Composite Audio cable, such as the cable Sparda suggested: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700

You will need to wire,

Red Jack

--{===}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Red Wire = Red Wire. Open Gold Wire = Open Gold Wire

~~~~~(==)- 3.5mm Jack

White Jack                                    /

/

--{===}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ / White Wire = Green Wire. Open Gold Wire = Open Gold Wire

The shielding on both the Composite cables will bind onto the one shilding cable on the 3.5mm Jack.

The other way to do this is to go down to ur local Electronics shop, or hobby shop, and by a 3.5mm jack, (there about $1.20au). Un-twist the plastice shield, and you will be presented with 3 prongs: there will notacable be one in the center, so turn the jack so that as u look at it, there is two prongs side on, and one at the back. Wire the Red to the Left Side, and the White to the right, the two Shielding wires get wired to the center prong.

Sorry for the non-discriptivness of this, kinda tired, n hungry :-)

hey thanks guys all this helps, its an all in one reciever and yah it has RCA outputs and inputs, I have my ps2, a 6 disc player, and my tv hooked up to it, its a pretty big reciever. I have tried wiring an old headphone piece to an RCA  so it can plug in the back but Im having no luck with that, maybe Im wiring it wrong I dunno, any other sugestions would be great :P

~sara~

Look a the wire strands from the headphones. Are the strands themselves colored, or just the plastic jacket around them? If they're colored, you'l have to take a lighter or something and burn the coating off the wire itself. I've had to do this a few times.