Linux Reality

Sparda

I'm not one to condone single speaker podcasts (they can get quite boring). Never the less, I'v been listening to Linux Reality for a few weeks now. It's realy quite interesting, I have learnt a fair bit from it (obviusly not as much as compleate new comers), but it's a good place to start if you want to use Linux. I recommend this to people who are new to Linux, but i'm sure that even the seasoned Linux users will enjoy it.

Thanks for the link dude, I'm finding it extremely groovy.

I've never used Linux before, so the show is a great help, and I'm thinking about partitioning off part of my computer to dual boot Linux. Does anyone know of a way this is possible without me having to backup all my files and re-installing windows?

Use a program like partition magic. Be sure to read the linux docs tho, some distros have specific partition requirements. What I would do is clear out some space on the drive you want to install linux on, then run partition magic to shrink the partition. This will leave you w/ unpartitioned space on your drive(make sure it is enough to run linux as I am fairly certian there is still no reliable way to write to NTFS partitions). From there, boot from the linux cd and let it do what it wants w/ the unpartitioned space.

Well, actualy you don't have to use partion magic. Some linux based partioning programs will do this. The YaST partion manager that comes with SuSE 10 for example is capable of resizing NTFS partions. Once I was installing it on a friends computer, and SuSE thought the best way to be installed would be to resize a 200GB NTFS partion and install it's self there, of course I didn't want that to happen as I had set up a new hard drive for it.Never the less, it's capable of resizing NTFS partions which is my point. You should probably defragment the partion you are wanting to resize, becasue this should put all the data as near the begining as posibel thus reduce the risk of data loss.

Yes, I forgot to mention, always defrag before resizing partitions. As far as YaST goes, I don't know... I guess I just have a phobia about Linux messing w/ NTFS partitions. Also, it will depennd on what distro you use as to wether a similar tool is included. Aside from my Smoothwall pc, I haven't run linux in a few years. Plan on setting up a box sometime soon tho. And thx for the show link, I'll have to take a look at that.

• 3 months later...