Intel, Quad Vs Duo?

Deveant

well its time again for an update, but this time round im not sure what to go for. Im in need for a new CPU, and with that a new MoBo, but my issue is, there is a Duo and Quad for the same price.

Item 1 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40Ghz/Kentsfield/4MBx2/1066FSB/EMT64/XD/Quad Core) - $379

Item 2 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (3.0Ghz/Conroe/4MB/1333FSB/EMT64/XD/Dual Core) - $389

So the quad is $10 cheaper, but that doesn't really matter much. Ive been searching around for performance tests and such but it seems hard to find tests of the same calibure for both chips.

So just wondering, what chip would u guys go for?

This is easy.

Consider your workload. Do you want 4 cores running at 2.4 GHz or do you want 2 running at 3.0 GHz?

If you have multiple (as in more than 2) CPU hogs running simultaneously (or want to), get the quad. If you typically only have 1 or 2 processes active that are competing for your current single core CPU, get the dual core, otherwise your competing processes will each get their own, slower core and one or two cores will just sit there doing nothing all day.

Its all in what apps will use and what you need it for. If an app was written for multi threading then go with the quad. If it was not meant to use more than one cpu, your not going to see a noticable difference unless you have a lot of things going on at once. Things like video rendering, games, etc will get better results if they use multiple cpus, so if your doing a lot of that, then go with the big guns. Getting the quad will be better in the long run anway as it won't be out dated and when apps start to take advantage of these functions,  your already one step ahead and don't need to upgrade again when dual cores become somewhat outdated.

sorry, the cude was a spellin mistake for cube, and its a Square any way :) haha soz, anywho... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835101002
Do you have the case and duct system for it, or does it fit in any pc. I was reading people were having problems with it not fitting in some cases due to components blocking it. I have a Pentium D and wanted a better cooler than the stock one. I added a small bolt on movable bendy fan to hit the memory and cpu for additional cooling, but its got a week fan and even on max xpeed setting, it barely does anything.