Would there be any interest in a coding challenge here?

cooper

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to see a few more people playing Core War

Core War (or Core Wars) is a programming game in which two or more battle programs (called warriors) compete for the control of the MARS virtual computer (Memory Array Redcode Simulator). These battle programs are written in an abstract assembly language called Redcode. The object of the game is to cause all processes of the opposing program(s) to terminate, leaving your program in sole possession of the machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_War

You’re not really doing anything useful with but it’s a fun thing for programmers to compete in.

I've just been reading the Wikipedia page at work, and it looks quite interesting from a competitive side, and programming side.  Maybe we could add this to the list of things to try out at the EU meetup.

I'd love to see a few more people playing Core War

Core War (or Core Wars) is a programming game in which two or more battle programs (called warriors) compete for the control of the MARS virtual computer (Memory Array Redcode Simulator). These battle programs are written in an abstract assembly language called Redcode. The object of the game is to cause all processes of the opposing program(s) to terminate, leaving your program in sole possession of the machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_War

You’re not really doing anything useful with but it’s a fun thing for programmers to compete in.

I've just been reading the Wikipedia page at work, and it looks quite interesting from a competitive side, and programming side.  Maybe we could add this to the list of things to try out at the EU meetup.

Yeah, I don’t really play computer games, this tends to be the kind of game I play, so I would be happy to see a little challenge at the EU meeting. I’m not to sure how many people there would know Assembler to the point where they could compete but if we have a few people or anyone that wants to play I’m up for it.

Yeah, I don’t really play computer games, this tends to be the kind of game I play, so I would be happy to see a little challenge at the EU meeting. I’m not to sure how many people there would know Assembler to the point where they could compete but if we have a few people or anyone that wants to play I’m up for it.

I've never really done anything with ASM. Back in school we had an assignment where the class was split up in groups of 4 and we had to make the HDLC protocol in ASM. My group had the best program, but that wasn't so much because of my own efforts. Haven't picked up ASM since, though I have been meaning to. I doubt I'll be a challenge to anyone, but I'll take a look at this code and see if I can conjure up something worth running.

In other words, I wouldn't say "You're on", but I'll be trying.

As for the coding challenge, you've noticed that it didn't make it into the ep due to time constraints mostly. Given the current status of that ep, this might actually be for the better. Regardless, I'd be happy to put up the challenge here and hope people will bite at it.

What do you people think? Just put it up, or wait for Live ep RC2?