DeLi linux

digip

Hey guys. Quick qestiion. Just installed DeLi linux and got through everything fine. Using the default Lilo boot loader. Get to the prompt, start linux, login, and then i do a STARTX to bring up the gui. Then the screen goes blank and nothing returns. My monitor's power light starts to blink and I am thinking it cannot find a refresh rate compatable with the old monitor. I chose this distro because I wanted to start with somehting small and lightweight and maybe learn something in thr process. I also don't have much hd space and its an older pc.

Few systems spec:

Pentium 200mmx

2.5gig HD

32x cdrom

128megs of ram

Ethernet card

Standard stuff, but nothing that should interfere with the monitor. The monitor is an "Acer View 11d SVGA"

I only lose the monitor when I start the gui, so is there a way to edit the system to change the default refresh rate or something? Any other ideas what could be causing it?

Sounds like a refresh rate/resolution problem. Google tells me this monitor is a 14" and a lot of 14" CRTs can't cope with >70Hz or>800x600. Some even less, but you say SVGA so I'm guessing 800x6000 compatible. Try screwing with your xorg.conf (or equivelant).

Ok. I ran xorgconfig from root and made some changes but I named it something other than the original file. Will it know to look at th eone I made named "myxorg.conf" or do I need to change something else to point it to it. Or should I have just overwritten the original xorg.conf?

Still does the same thing, so either i need to overwrite it or point to the one I created. What are your thoughts Moonlit? I have never had to set this up before, as the last Linux distro I used was Fedore Core 6 in VMware, and it pretyt much did everything for me. I want to do more hands on and edit/customize things, BUt I don't want to overwrite anything that may be system critical down the road. (I am such a n00b when it comes to linux)

Ok. Upon getting the blank screen, I pressed CONTROL-D to bring up the command prompt.

I got some error info for you guys.

(ee) unable to locate/open config file

New Driver is "s3"

(==) using default builtin configuration

(ee)failed to load module "glx"

(ee)faile to load module "dri"

(ee) open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory

/usr/lib/xll/xinit/xinitrc[28]: twm not found

/usr/lib/xll/xinit/xinitrc[29]: xclock: not found

I think its now a problem with my mouse. It says it can't detect it and I cant get past the mouse error to get to the gui now. Before it woudl get past the mouse, etc, but then give me a blank screen upon starting the gui. Now it come sout of the gui and says Mouse0: cannot open input device.

Ok. tried a few other things and finally got to a GUI. Did a new isntall and unselected xorg as the xwindow and instead went with tiny-x and flubox. I now can get to a desktop environment. Not sure why xorg won't work, but maybe they don't have direvers compatible with my motherboard or monitor, since I am using an ancient set of hardware. The pc is probably more than 10 years old and being it si so old, they may not have the dirivers needed to run it? Not sure, but for whatever reason, I can now run a desktop using TinyX.

I may give xorg another try but I am still playing with this and just learnign my way aroundĀ  at this point.

Well, got a desktop GUI, but now I cannot get the netconfig to setup my ip address. Trid usign dhcp and it says it found a device, but neve works, tried manuallt setting up with netconfig(trhough their installer) but it still cannot make it to the web. Going to try another reinstall and see what I can figure out this time around, Maybe I will stumble upon somethign different.

+capslock

+excessive use of the explanation mark

UBUNTU!!!!!!!!! :D

Ubuntu cant solve all the problems in the world, thats what MS is for *coughs* :D

though must say ur choice in Linux this time is a little odd, never actualy heard of DeLi untill just googling it now.

if it still doesnt want to play nice, then i suggest getting a real mans OS, like MAC....

+capslock

+excessive use of the explanation mark

UBUNTU!!!!!!!!! :D

Ubuntu cant solve all the problems in the world, thats what MS is for *coughs* :D

though must say ur choice in Linux this time is a little odd, never actualy heard of DeLi untill just googling it now.

if it still doesnt want to play nice, then i suggest getting a real mans OS, like MAC....

The pc is old. and only 2.5 gig hd. Tried Nubuntu, Ubuntu,openBSD, and Minimal Gentoo install. Gentoo wouldn't even come up and theĀ  pc would keep rebooting once it got past the bios post. So DeLi was first choice since it was small and somewhat simple.

I eventually put DSL on there, but I wanted to try something different and since it was more about learning the ins and outs, it wasn't so much for a "real man's OS". If anyone had read the thread they would have seen I was working with ancient hardware with bare minimums or everything from Ram to HD space. DSL works fine on there, but I still want to get DeLi to work, just because it didn't and I want to learn how to set things up on my own.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.