S02x06 crash windows??

GonZor

I'm having a really wierd problem, every time I try to open episode 206 windows crashes...I have downloaded the file several times but to the same effect did this happen to anyone else?? I might also mention I am from Australia so I am downloading from the Internode Servers becasue it doesn't count towards my bandwidth.

and yes I am aware that episode 206 is quite old now, but I would still like to get it...

Excuse the crap explanation, I'm barely awake... Media player crash with fatal exception, and yes i have tried it in multiple media players (winamp, wmp, another one forgot the name though)

Just tried reinstalling the codec, same thing happens

Video files sometimes get locked on Windows. Reinstalling isn't needed. One thing I used to run into is trying to move or delete a video file and windows would barf every time I tried to delete it. Kill EXPLORER.EXE and then ctrl+al+del to bring up task manager. Then RUN EXPLORER and it should reload explorer.exe (might even give an error when starting back up). Now find the video file and right click and do CUT and then past it where you want or put in in the recycle bin. Re-download the file and you should be all fixed.

Few things else you could try. Downlaod the WMV version (may be large, but should work fine). Try redownloading the xvid file to a different name. Maybe its corrupted or not fully downloaded. Also, try the DiVX plugin instead of xvid. (Or vice versa) but only install one at a time as they get screwy as times in windows. If you can't get the xvid version to play, install Virtual Dub and see if it can play it. If it can, then maybe resave it (and probably recompress it, using xvid) and it will re-write a corrupted video as a good file. You can even ask virtual dub to scan it for errors. If xvid is installed and virtual dub can't open it then the file is most likely bad and may need to be hex edited to fix it (beyond my capabilities) but definately you do NOT need to reinstall windows just to play a video file.

Just downloaded it and it played fine in Windows media player with the xvid codec (im using XviD-1.1.0-30122005 _Final Release_ but even the latest should work).

http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.43.0.html

Are you by any chance running an older version and on an Intel EMT64?

Changes since 1.1.0:

xvidcore library

Fixed bug when frame-drop (N-VOP) feature is used in combination with packed B-frames

Fix for premature EOF in xvid_decraw example

Fixed potential crash on Intel EMT64 architecture

Several fixes for IA64 platform (patch by Thomas Koeckerbauer)

Fix for visual_object_verid vs. video_object_layer_verid problem

Ensure intervening bytes are preserved in BitstreamInit()

It's not necessarily the video codec as well, remember.

I agree. I think his download was fubared.

Maybe redownload it from the hak5 site and not from a mirror. Maybe their copy is the problem...

Just to be sure, check its md5 hash. I used http://diamondcs-md5.diamond-computer-systems.qarchive.org/ to generate the following: 342F81CDD46624C1206CA5AA45512499

If you get something different then your file is not the same as the one listed for download on the hak5 site. If they don't match then I woudl say get it from the hak5 site and see what happens.

Just to be sure, check its md5 hash. I used http://diamondcs-md5.diamond-computer-systems.qarchive.org/ to generate the following: 342F81CDD46624C1206CA5AA45512499

If you get something different then your file is not the same as the one listed for download on the hak5 site. If they don't match then I woudl say get it from the hak5 site and see what happens.

The MD5 for this file is 5165401b4044ed49da8d6249a72f1dda, so it looks a download from Hak5 site should fix it, oh well at least its only a small file

so its borked bits. ;) lol

borked to bits...oh no, Dr! TobyToby's not feeling so good...

Borked Bits