A WiFi Project?

jchomley

Hi Everyone,

i have a couple of problems in working with my WiFi project.

Firstly, WHICH Hak5 product do I purchase?

The Mission: 

I am doing WiFi range testing in a rural environment with all sorts of antenna hardware.  Using Dovado routers, I need to get something from the Hak5 product range that I can plug into a router and simply have it spew text data out of its WiFi and I simply wander about with another router bring that raw text onto a terminal program screen…….while I am in range, data will be received, when out of range I simply lose it.

So, do i send the data via the Ethernet Port OR via the USB port, to be transmitted over WiFi from the host router?  I guess a simple script file could be run in the Hak 5 to generate the dat payload for WiFi transmission? 

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers,

Jack (a total newbie)

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about. What are you trying to achieve? Measuring WiFi range? In relation to what? I can't offer any help without any deeper details about it all. A sketch would be nice to get a picture of how things interact, and also what things? There are Dovados mentioned as well as "host routers" and USB and ethernet ports of unknown devices as well as payloads. It's hard to suggest any Hak5 product with such a blurry use case scenario.

30 minutes ago, chrizree said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about. What are you trying to achieve? Measuring WiFi range? In relation to what? I can't offer any help without any deeper details about it all. A sketch would be nice to get a picture of how things interact, and also what things? There are Dovados mentioned as well as "host routers" and USB and ethernet ports of unknown devices as well as payloads. It's hard to suggest any Hak5 product with such a blurry use case scenario.

Sorry,  Normally, I setup a router as a stand alone unit with WiFi antenna.  Then I use a WIN10 Tablet with an external WiFi adapter running Netspot software to look at the signal from the standalone router.

https://www.netspotapp.com

https://wirelessgear.com.au/dovado-tiny-ac-universal-access-router/

The software displays the various parameters of signals it receives.

All I want to do is simplify the system as a go/no go test, that is I either receive data or I don’t.  One end of the test set up is portable so I can do range checks with various types of antennas.  Using a Hak5 product in either the ethernet or USB port of a Dovado router to send a data payload , that I can simply read the incoming wifi signal data  at the other end, on a tablet PC with a connected Dovado router.

Sounds to me like he wants a network equivalent of a "continuity tester". Something to broadcast a continuous data stream, and then check on a remote device if he is receiving that stream.

OP: Although that may seem like a simple enough task, I suspect it will actually be harder to implement this than you might think. Your receiving device can be set to continuously check the signal strength and quality and log that info to a file, possibly with GPS coordinates thrown in for good measure. (GPS receiver require for that last part, of course).

This illustrates the issue here; now there are two individuals guessing what's supposed to be happening. It's a (close to) useless way of providing help. The best way is to get a detailed explanation of what's desired.

It's no big thing to monitor, say; link quality, signal level, bit rate, etc. just using bash, but it's not obvious that's the goal of it all. Network throughput can be monitored locally using iperf/iperf3 in a client/server scenario. GPS data is no biggie either to obtain and log and later on correlate with other forms of input. In any case, I can't see that a Hak5 device would add anything extra to the scenario that couldn't be done with some other device in this particular case.

Sorry everyone, I should have thought more about this. Hak5 came up in my Facebook feed and I thought it may offer something for my project.  In hindsight there is probably a better way to go and I am researching a few things.  Anyway, thanks for the replies……will keep working on it 🙂

Cheers,

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived