Open ssid does work. I received my mark 7 yesterday and when I try to connect a device the open ssid is less than 1mbs. Help please

cyberstacker

I'm curious about how it's connected in detail and more specific the RPi4 that seems to have more than one wireless connection active at the same time. How is that RPi4 set up? Is it that RPi4 that you measure speed from? I guess so based on your note on the sketch ("I connect to Pineapple wireless through Pi4"). Why are you connecting the RPi4 to both the main AP/router and the Pineapple at the same time? When it comes to the Pineapple, it seems that the RPi4 is connected to the open AP (a guess based on the discussion so far in the thread) and the Pineapple is connected to your main AP/router via the wlan2 interface of the Pineapple. Correct? How do you connect the RPi4 to both the main AP/router and the Pineapple? An extra WiFi adapter attached to the RPi4?

What software/service are you using when measuring speed (screenshot in previous post)?

It seems as if one of the wireless cameras are "routed" via the RPi4, but that might be the sketch playing tricks and that the wireless camera is actually connected to the AP/router.

When I get back I will give more detail but on the rpi4 I just disconnect from my main router and connect to the pineapple manage ssid. I never connect the rpi4 up to two connections. I can see how got though from the Image. When I connect to the pineapple with my android note I do it the same disconnect from main then connect to pineapple. The pineapple is always connected to the main router.

The reason I don't just say connected to the pineapple is because I watch YouTube a lot and you just can watch anything because of of speed. 

I mounted my mark 7 in a certain stop on my wall and could not believe it, I am getting 30 mbps most of the time is that good. the weird thing is if I move it to far left up or down it drops to 10-15 mbps. could it have been some kind of interference the whole time? I am not sure if 30 mbps is good for open ssid but at least I can watch youtube lol

I don't think there's really any need of more details since you seem to just have to move it around to get the optimal position of the Pineapple. If it was me, I wouldn't hunt for Mbps though, pumping YouTube videos through the device isn't within my use case scenario for the Pineapple.

Oh no I was just given a example because I know what speeds you have to have to watch like 1080p etc. I don't plan on using it for pumping YouTube videos through lol but someone who connects might want to and if I don't have the mbps they will just jump off and go somewhere else lol. 

On 3/2/2021 at 8:09 PM, cyberstacker said:

Notice it says my Bit rate is 72 mb/siwconfig2.thumb.png.519021734ae044d0126d056e183c2c06.png

Anyone else notice in that last pic the Link Quality is 70/70, but the Signal level is -28 dBm?

I'm no expert, but that seems pretty weak for being 12 feet away. I would expect almost double that, unless the transmit level on the source is lower than I'm expecting.

12 minutes ago, Aaron Outhier said:

Oops, I had scrolled to the bottom of the page and thought that was it. Didn't notice until now there is a page 2...

Hey where did you see -28 I didn't even notice that

I just did a iwconfig  it is a - 43 after I put my pineapple next to the wall. The main router is on the other side of the wall no more than 10 ft. The wall is your typical wood wall. Does -43 seem about right?

What is Tx=31 dBM mean is that ok.

I notice yesterday I started getting 30 mbs with it by the wall so I guess I just need to knock this wall down lol

Agreed. It would take much more than leaving it running to make it burn up/burn out/whatever. If you're leaving Open APs turned on, however, you might be inviting your neighbors to free WiFi. Keep your filters on, and check for unknown clients. If you want to be sure of that when you're not home, you can setup a C2 server in the cloud. A cloud server can be had for about $5/month these days. Then again, it might also be overkill. Depends on your needs.

Archived