Does anyone know anything about this or what its called ?

film

Hello, well today i was sitting in the computer room and there was this one guy sitting next to me. He was on the internet on his mobile phone, well anyways when his phone was about a foot away from (what i think anyway)his mouse it moved. I was astounded when i seen this. I got his phone and kept moving it back and forth form the mouse and everytime it approached the mouse it would move ? So know im trying to find out why this happend, how this happend and if anything else gets affected by phones connected to the internet ? :S

-Thanks

Was it a wireless mouse? Apparently the phone doesn't even have to be connected to the internet to affect a wireless mouse. I've seen a few posts about cell phones moving them when a call comes in, or the phone company "pings" the phone (network time, update, etc).

hmm do u guys run bluetooth in ur labs? or did he have a USB dongel plugged in? ive got some toys built for the sony Ericson V600i series that allows me to use my camara to simulate the laser of a mouse, though it sucks arse and wastes a shit load of power.

Though just thinking bout it then whilst i was typing, i wonder if it was possible that his connection was made to the computer via the internet?

i would be willing to bet it was electro-magnetic field distortion interrupting the flow of electrons to the mouse's internal processor. causing the simulation of movement, but I'm not a professional scientist trained in this sort of thing, but it seems plausible.

How exactly did the mouse move on screen (how meaning what the cursor on screen did)?

If it moved around like it was just random, then I would imagine some one has had you and you are now the laughing stock of the school. ;) (as moonlit implied)

Other wise, if the movement was precise and similar each time, (I can imagine the cursor just vibrating on the screen) then it most likely is occurring for the same reason speakers of amplifiers make noises when you put a mobile phone near them. I would guess (at a slightly educated guess) that it has some thing to do with the discharge of electrons from capacitors, and the circuitry inside the device been 'tricked' (as far as a digital processor can be tricked) in to discharging when it is not supposed to. I probably got that completely wrong though lol.

Other wise, if the movement was precise and similar each time, (I can imagine the cursor just vibrating on the screen)

That's what happens when an optical mouse makes the cursor twitch and spasm... sometimes it's tiny movements back and forth, sometimes it'll twitch half-way across the screen. It'll appear to have moved sometimes as if someone had intended it when really it's just a random twitch.

Doesn't have to happen after someone's used the mouse either, it often happens when the mouse is idle or occasionally if the table, desk or work surface the mouse is on gets nudged even a tiny amount.

That's what happens when an optical mouse makes the cursor twitch and spasm... sometimes it's tiny movements back and forth, sometimes it'll twitch half-way across the screen. It'll appear to have moved sometimes as if someone had intended it when really it's just a random twitch.

Yes, but that is not exactly what is happening in this case. In the case you describe the optical receiver in the mouse is (for lack of a better word) confused. What is supposabaly happening in this case is the internal processing of the mouse is been altered by the radiation from the phone. The movements generated by this should be the about same constantly. This assumes that wavelength, frequency and amplitude of the radiation, either, do not effect it (which they will, since this is what's causing it, supposably) or they stay the same (which they won't, so there will always be some minor variation (quantum theory baby :D)).

Did that paragraph make sense? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:10 am

moonlit wrote:

Yes, but that is not exactly what is happening in this case. In the case you describe the optical receiver in the mouse is (for lack of a better word) confused. What is supposabaly happening in this case is the internal processing of the mouse is been altered by the radiation from the phone. The movements generated by this should be the about same constantly. This assumes that wavelength, frequency and amplitude of the radiation, either, do not effect it (which they will, since this is what's causing it, supposably) or they stay the same (which they won't, so there will always be some minor variation (quantum theory baby Very Happy)).

Did that paragraph make sense? Rolling Eyes

I can see a phone making such disturbances, actually mine effects many of the electronics in my room. It has never effected my computer in that way but in my case I have a very simple piece of crap phone and I am not causing a lot of interference surfing the web like in this case.

Lol Geeze Sparda could you get a little more scientific there? :lol: All I managed to gain from that and be pretty sure I understood it correctly was "Mouse not work right, make it move funny."

:D On another note, my optical mouse did this sometimes, it would randomly jump around the screen every once in a while for about 1 or 2 seconds (not to mention the thing only cost 10 bucks) if the mouse was cheap it may have something to do with it. I switched to a track ball (Logitech Marble Mouse ftw!) I enjoy it a lot more plus it doesn't jump around like nuts anymore (and yeah, its optical too.) Other than that, I keep my phone on the desk right beside my mouse and have never had any probs out of it.