Cain't connect to open access point

FruitNinja

hello all,

Just got my hands on a new Wifi Pineapple mk7 and I am still figuring out everything.

For some reason, I cain't connect to my rogue Open Access Point called "FreeWifi" for example when I try with my Iphone.

I'm connected to internet through my wireless client mode but it doesn't seem to feed my fake open wifi since other devices cain't access it.

What's up with that?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Here is the technical explanation: 

Pineapple generates the wifi config file here: /etc/pineapple/wpa_config

Sample contents of the file when connecting to the open AP:

root@mk7:/etc/pineapple# cat /etc/pineapple/wpa_config
network={
bssid=9:8:7:6:5:4
ssid="Coffee Shop"
key_mgmt=NONE
psk=""
}

Then it attempts to start the following command: 

root@mk7:/etc/pineapple# wpa_supplicant -i wlan2 -Dnl80211 -c/etc/pineapple/wpa_config
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
Line 5: Invalid passphrase length 0 (expected: 8..63) '"'.
Line 5: failed to parse psk '""'.
Line 6: failed to parse network block.
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/pineapple/wpa_config'.

As you can see, wpa_supplicant does not expect the "psk" to be present in the config file if the AP is open. 

How to fix: 

• Remove the string psk="" from the /etc/pineapple/wpa_config
  •  Run wpa_supplicant -i wlan2 -Dnl80211 -c/etc/pineapple/wpa_config

Regarding the reason "why it has not been fixed yet?": I can create a PR with the necessary changes if the code is available on GitHub/etc. But it seems to be closed-source 😞

I wouldn't change any settings "under the hood", it shouldn't be necessary. Check the filters first. This shouldn't be an issue at all for the open AP. wlan2 should also be used for connecting the Mk7 to a nearby AP in order to get internet access, wlan2 shouldn't be used for the open AP of the Mk7. Connecting the Mk7 to an AP and getting clients to connect to the open AP of the Mk7 are two different things.

OK, so what I meant here is not the PineAP function. It's disabled, so no filters are involved. 

I meant the "Wireless Client Mode" for connecting the pineapple to the internet as a client. MK7 does not connect to any open AP on the 1.0.2 firmware version.

Hi,

I've tried reproducing this issue, but I don't seem to get the same resulting configuration file as you do. Connecting to an Open AP generates a config that contains no "key" field. Is this any special kind of AP you're trying to connect to?

Thanks

Archived